Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've ran out of lithium grease, so I was wondering if Vaseline would work until I get some more proper grease?

I use Vaseline when re-greasing bearings when I service mountain bikes, so yes, it does work as grease, but would it be OK for my cylinder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I really want to make a joke about this. Jokes aside, I know that it degrades latex. I don't know exactly what rubber O-rings are made of though.

Reactions: MiloXC3

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Get a second opinion but it should be fine. I don't think it will disolve o-rings, but again, get a second opinion. As for that joke, that's not where you should be putting your vaseline.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Never actually used or but I know of.many players here who put technical vaseline (hopefully that is the exact translation) for air related parts in their AEGs..those are supposed to have rubber and o-rings so I'd say it should work fine..get a third opinion:)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Latex is a rubber, and petroleum products will break any rubber down as I know, so when lubing your cylinder, you probably should avoid it.

I know a mechanic who uses Marcel Wax on the mech of his guns.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My white lithium grease has some petroleum in it, so I took an old bucking and rubbed some on half and kept the other half clean. After 3 weeks I cleaned it off to inspect it, and there was absolutely no damage from the petroleum in the grease. I did this test a few months ago. Maybe it's labeled wrong?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Vaselines only ingredient is "White" Petroleum. No idea what exactly the white part has to do with any changes to the basic composition, if any, other than clolor. Personally Id steer clear of it, but thats just me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Since I've ever used it but heard lots of players using it, I decided to double check and it turns out baseline is a derivative of petroleum.

I would personally not use it for rubbers or parts that cone in contact with rubber in general..just to be on the safe side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.