Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've ran out of lithium grease, so I was wondering if Vaseline would work until I get some more proper grease?

I use Vaseline when re-greasing bearings when I service mountain bikes, so yes, it does work as grease, but would it be OK for my cylinder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I really want to make a joke about this. Jokes aside, I know that it degrades latex. I don't know exactly what rubber O-rings are made of though.

Reactions: MiloXC3

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Get a second opinion but it should be fine. I don't think it will disolve o-rings, but again, get a second opinion. As for that joke, that's not where you should be putting your vaseline.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Never actually used or but I know of.many players here who put technical vaseline (hopefully that is the exact translation) for air related parts in their AEGs..those are supposed to have rubber and o-rings so I'd say it should work fine..get a third opinion:)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Latex is a rubber, and petroleum products will break any rubber down as I know, so when lubing your cylinder, you probably should avoid it.

I know a mechanic who uses Marcel Wax on the mech of his guns.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My white lithium grease has some petroleum in it, so I took an old bucking and rubbed some on half and kept the other half clean. After 3 weeks I cleaned it off to inspect it, and there was absolutely no damage from the petroleum in the grease. I did this test a few months ago. Maybe it's labeled wrong?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Since I've ever used it but heard lots of players using it, I decided to double check and it turns out baseline is a derivative of petroleum.

I would personally not use it for rubbers or parts that cone in contact with rubber in general..just to be on the safe side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.