Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

VFC/ASG M40A5 Gas sniper questions

13K views 58 replies 8 participants last post by  mattvieira 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone

I've been looking into this rifle, and I've heard good things about it. Mainly from Demitri on here but there are still a few things I haven't found answers to.

I understand the high pressure low volume mantra, but not sure what pressure this thing can take. I've found an airsoft gas that has 203 Psi / 14 bar pressure from nimrod. do you think this rifle could handle that? or the high pressure vertex gas from Abbey
Also I live in a very temperamental climate, in the past week temperature has varied from 31C at noon to 15C at noon. Do you think this rifle would perform well with this sort of temperature variance?

Thank you in advance

#2 ·
Hi! That's pretty much the same temperature as I get down here, and the rifle performs perfectly fine on both ends, without major FPS difference between them.

I always run it on Map Pro (which is pure propylene), except if the temperature is expected to raise above the mid 30s, in that case I switch to propane.

here's the pressure / temperature chart for both

propylene
https://www.agaseurope.com/media/2424/r1270-propylene-pt-chart.pdf

propane
https://www.agaseurope.com/media/2422/r290-propane-pt-chart.pdf

As a rule of thumb I like to keep it between 70 and 200PSI, but I'm pretty sure it can work at somewhat lower pressure and stand more.

Don't know about those particular brands, but a PSI claim without providing the temperature at which that measurement is taken doesn't really help...

#6 ·
Don't know about those particular brands, but a PSI claim without providing the temperature at which that measurement is taken doesn't really help...
Oh must have forgotten to type that..
the pressure claim from Nimrod is at 20C.
Abbay does not list what pressure there gas runs at.
I know they have a gas that is made specifically for snipers Brut sniper gas or something. it's supposedly dry.
there vertex gas is per there own claims there highest pressure yet and only has very little lubrication.

I wrote them to ask, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

#3 ·
Well, that was strange, i´m trading a VFC M40A5 Gas sniper in a DMR that i have, and today someone is asking questions of the same gun, should this be a sign?

I´ve spent my day digging information about this sniper, read all posts that i could find here in this forum (thanks Dimitri), and what bugs me its the Magazine for this gun....

It seems to be out of stock everywhere, and i would like to know how many mags (14 bbs each) should i have to properly use this gun at games?

Does the green gas affect the hop effect due to the silicone in it?

and how about lifting .45/.48 bbs???

Thanks guys!

#5 ·
It seems to be out of stock everywhere, and i would like to know how many mags (14 bbs each) should i have to properly use this gun at games?

Does the green gas affect the hop effect due to the silicone in it?

and how about lifting .45/.48 bbs???
I normally carry 5 mags, but everything depends on the type of game and your gaming style.

Silicone screws accuracy. Dry gas all the way, specially for gas BASR

The hop up lifts .48 without issues, at least when running maple leaf decepticon bucking

#8 ·
I technically don't lubricate my magazines. I don't add silicone to the gas at all either. That would cause the same effect as using green gas. All i really do is lubricate the bolt from time to time with a light amount of oil, and then periodically disassemble the magazines to lubricate the o rings around the fill and knocker valves.

#12 ·
Hi there!
Does anybody knows If exist a tutorial teaching how to reassemble this rifle? Because when you pull the outer barrel there is a little piece that pop of, and the videos that i have found just shows how to disassemble, but i dont know how to put that piece back in place... It seems to be the piece that push the hopup arm....
Thanks!

#13 ·
One last question.

As I understand it the wonder and the super bucking from ML are the latest models of there buckings. which would you recommend?

Asking because the descriptions I've found both say they increase the range over the other at the cost of accuracy. and they can't both be right.

#15 ·
As I understand it the wonder and the super bucking from ML are the latest models of there buckings. which would you recommend?
There are two lines of Maple Leaf Buckings, and multiple generations..

The two lines (Diamond and Delta) describe the contact patch shape. Diamond has a W shape, while Delta has a inverted V shape.
They market it as Diamond providing "longer range" while Delta providing "higher accuracy". In reality, Diamond provides slightly wider contact patch which means less hop applied for same effect (which potentially could allow for heavier bbs to be lifted, providing "longer range" in a really deceptive way), while Delta might provide even greater accuracy due to the perfectly centered design...

In my personal experience I have not seen any accuracy or range difference between the two, they're actually both outstandingly accurate and long reaching. The main difference is in the amount of hop pressure needed. As a reference, with a Diamond-shaped Autobot bucking I was able to lift .40g bbs in a WE AK GBBR with still one third of the hop adjustment wheel to spare, while the Delta-shaped Decepticon required full pressure to lift them.

As for generations, the first Diamond and Delta were the Monster series.
Then came the Macaron series, featuring the Autobot (diamond) and Decepticon (delta) buckings. The main "upgrade" is tighter seal lips and an optional C-ring that makes them even tighter.
The next step was the Hero series, featuring the Wonder (diamond) and Super (delta) buckings. Improvements include a contact patch that's slightly longer at the back, which might provide better lift on some guns... depending on how far they insert the bb to begin.

All in all, I would recommend choosing always a Diamond type, and the generation that better suits your chamber / nozzle combination.
Monster diamond is generally better for VSR rifles, as the nozzles (specially most aftermarket ones) can be too wide and therefore damage the tighter fitting Autobots.
For most GBBRs, I would recommend the Autobot buckings. Gas guns greatly benefit from a tight fit between the nozzle and bucking.
The newer Wonder buckings I would choose only for guns that lack the side-alignment groove on the chamber, such as WE SMG-8 or most VFC GBBRs.

As for the M40A5, the option is either an Autobot bucking without the C-ring, or a classic Monster Diamond. 70 or 75º will do, depending on your desired FPS

But I managed to find a 400g bottle that's not too expensive.
yup, those are the bottles we always use.

#14 ·
ok I lied.. I had another question.

Been looking around for mapp-pro or any other pure propylene gas here in Denmark. They are not easy to find heh.

But I managed to find a 400g bottle that's not too expensive.
since I'm on uncharted ground for myself I just want to ask if these are the kind of bottles you use.

Guessing you then attach an adapter like the Madbull XG02 propane adapter to it and your good to go?

#16 ·
Being a new owner of one of these, figured I'd post a few observations I've had while getting this thing field ready.

1: Clean it, Clean is like you have never cleaned anything before. Mine was filled with black gun oil even inside the bolt. It was so bad you'd think that they just dunked the whole thing into a vat of oil so disassemble everything and clean it.

2: There is at least 2 versions of this gun, one that is power adjustable and one that isn't. The power adjustable version has a set screw in front of the power adjustment wheel holding it in place, the other has a pin hammed in locking the wheel in place.
Adjusting the power of the locked version is possible, but you need to disassemble the bolt and use a flathead screwdriver and quite a lot of force to turn the wheel.

3. Once you've fired a few hundred shots, disassemble the gun and check the bucking, most likely you missed some gunk somewhere in the gun and the bucking and barrel will be smudged in black oil residue, so clean it again XD

This might be obvious for veterans on here, but figured I'd warn the people new to BASR's

#18 ·
2: There is at least 2 versions of this gun, one that is power adjustable and one that isn't. The power adjustable version has a set screw in front of the power adjustment wheel holding it in place, the other has a pin hammed in locking the wheel in place.
Adjusting the power of the locked version is possible, but you need to disassemble the bolt and use a flathead screwdriver and quite a lot of force to turn the wheel.
Damn, didn't knew they had a locked version. Maybe you can drill the pin out, and maybe even put a new set screw in (threading the hole if necessary)

#19 · (Edited)
I haven't fielded it yet due to work, and weathers been too cold and windy to get it dialed in, in power and hop. but from what I've shot it so far I'm quite impressed. I'm not getting the famed consistency yet, but I've only shot about 400 rounds though it with 4 magazines, I can see it getting better so it will just be a matter of time till it's worn in.
I'm currently using .43g bb's but I'm considering going heavier if I can find a good brand that's sold nearby and isn't constantly out of stock.
I also need to find a good supply of high pressure gas, MAPP/PRO is quite expensive (Cheapest I've found so far is 27$ for a 400g bottle) and hard to find here i Denmark and due to the whole hazards material thing it can be a pain to get it shipped in from abroad.
Currently using Abbeys Brut sniper gas. asked them about the pressure rating of this gas, but the guy that knows is apparently on vacation.

Damn, didn't knew they had a locked version. Maybe you can drill the pin out, and maybe even put a new set screw in (threading the hole if necessary)
Nor did I before I wanted to turn up the power a bit, I've considered drilling out the pin. But I'm considering leaving it, if I can dial in the power at the average temperature (I'm going for 2.9 Joules) it's well under the max for BASR's which is 4 Joules any fluctuation in power due to temperature variation should be able to be countered by tuning the hop. and the pin will most definitely keep the power wheel rock steady.

Right now I'm in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" part of getting the gun ready. If I can work around it without it having negative consequences then I won't attempt to fix it.

#20 ·
So, I've so far put little over 200 BB's though each of my 4 magazines.
but I'm still not getting the famed consistence of this rifle. the best of the mags if you disregard the first shot has a variance from first to last of 18.5 fps and the worst 35.7 fps.
the screw for the power adjustment is nearly all the way in which is nearly the lowest power if I remember right?. (Haven't fiddled with it much since the locked version is nasty to adjust)
I've switched the stock barrel for a 590mm ML CJ and the bucking to an autobot 75.
Teflon taped the bucking.
Disassembled and cleaned the valves on each mag and lubricated moving parts.
Shimmed the hop up arm

Am I missing something? or does it require more wearing in?

Thank you in advance

#24 ·
The brut sniper gas is a dry gas, so no lubrication there. also checked bucking few days ago before making the post 200 shot fps test.

barrel is clean and bone dry.
But cleaned the barrel with isopropyl alcohol and soft cloth and cleaned the bucking with the same and a Q-tip to remove any grime from the inside anyway just to be sure pre test.

#25 · (Edited)
well, guess you'll have to try with MapPro when you get it, and if that fails try to get the pin that locks the screw out and play around with it until you find a consistent position.

How do you find the accuracy and range so far?

Yesterday a friend that runs a VFC M40A5 uploaded a very informal video just as a proof for another friend that didn't believed us...

4/4 hits at a quite small plate... at 96 meters (100 yards)
https://www.facebook.com/cobre.tozzi/videos/pcb.2324272114358730/2324268204359121/?type=3&theater

#26 ·
Yea guess there's nothing else for it. Was hoping I could avoid the power tools, always a chance of stuff going wrong when you use those XD
As a hint for a good starting position how far out do you have your power adjustment screw?

haven't taken that many aimed shots, most were just into a padded box, since I used a bunch of .36g BB's that I'm not using anymore just to wear in the gun.
I have taken a few pot shots at the neighbors garage though hehe
Think it's about 60-70 meters away. and they were flying dead straight, except for a few flyers now and then.
I'd say that despite the lowish power, it's doing good so far, I'll see how it does once I've modded the power adjustment.

#28 ·
I have 4 mags and never had a feeding issue.
Did it always have this issue or only after you put in the new bucking?

I'd probably check if the internal magazine is seated all the way in. The top rear edge of the mag where the flow valve and the top front where the bb's feed is has to be flush with the casing.
And check if the little wedge at the back which locks the mag in is damaged of malformed.

I never tested the stock barrel because stock barrels are usually not that good.
I personally got a 590mm maple leaf crazy jet barrel (it's labled as being made for his rifle). It sticks out of the outer barrel by about 38mm but easily fits inside the flash hider.

On a personal progress note, still haven't received the propane adapter. But fiddling with the power adjustment has decreased the fps inconsistency of the most inconsistent mag from 35.7 fps to 10fps max-min. still a little bit to go, but getting close :tup:

#29 · (Edited)
I just came back from Asgard Deadlock milsim in Poland (1000 players, 2 days of consistent operation) and can only say “WOW”. Everyone who didn’t know the rifle could not believe how far I was able to shoot with 0.46 and 0.48. I’ve put Maple Leaf 600mm inner barrel and the black Autobot bucking as the pink one was overhopping with the hop up arm removed. I did use the C clip though (should I not?). The only problem I got is that the bb goes left after around 70-80 meter so I had to tilt the rifle right around 15 degrees - did anyone have this issue? Other than that I was able to outshoot DMRs which proves the point of using BASR on a milsim.

On a side note: release valve pin on the mag may come loose - need to be screwed in until turns with more force - if it unscrews to much you will not put the mag in and it will potentially break when forcing into the rifle. Mapp Pro works good but over 25C it may become impossible or hard for the hammer to open the valve due to increased pressure - this causes FPS variation. I even used stronger springs on the hammer (WII Tech upgrade) but it did not help much so don’t use mapp pro when it’s too hot. I’m getting over 600fps with the adj screw 3/4 backed on Puff Dino 14bar green gas (no lube version).

#30 ·
I've put Maple Leaf 600mm inner barrel and the black Autobot bucking as the pink one was overhopping with the hop up arm removed.
I thought I was seeing this as well, bought some BLS .50g BB's to test with once I get the consistency dialed in. But weathers been crap here so haven't been able to do much testing.

Mapp Pro works good but over 25C it may become impossible or hard for the hammer to open the valve due to increased pressure - this causes FPS variation. I even used stronger springs on the hammer (WII Tech upgrade) but it did not help much so don't use mapp pro when it's too hot. I'm getting over 600fps with the adj screw 3/4 backed on Puff Dino 14bar green gas
With Brut sniper gas I'm getting 615fps with .2g/ 3.52 Joules with the adjuster about half way, perhaps I should try some lower pressure gas just to see if that might fix some of the issues. But again weathers been crap here, so gotta wait till it hopefully clears up a bit.

#37 ·
Testing is a bit on hold.
Weather here has been too bad to do any meaningful tests outside and the smell from the gas means GF won't let me test inside hehe.

When the weather improves I plan on continuing the tests, it does have issues with consistence around the 600+fps mark (limit here is 656 fps/4 Joules for BASR) which I can see I'm not the only one that noticed, so plan is to lower the fps to around 550 and seeing if that helps.

but as I said, can't do anything till the weather improves.

#38 ·
So I have gotten myself one of these and I am pretty happy with it.

The consistency is strange— the first couple shots in the mag will have a spread of ~15-20 FPS, and then the rest will have that legendary consistency of about +/- 3 variation. Honestly this doesn’t bother me because realistically 15-20 FPS change on a couple shots will not mess up shots too badly, and the rest of the mag is crazy locked in. That being said has anyone seen this come up in their rifles?

Overall build quality is crazy good. Like crazy good. It is heavy but whatever it’s a good kind of heavy. The parts feel solid in hand and overall I’m really pleased. We just got 75cm of snow so it’s hard to test accuracy but I will follow up when it’s not a whiteout and I can see the bb fly.

One question for others—do you have an efficient way to load the bb’s? The follower in the mag is hidden so You can’t pull it down to load. Makes it difficult to get all 15 bb’s in there. Is there some special loading method or a special speed loader that would help?

#39 ·
One question for others-do you have an efficient way to load the bb's? The follower in the mag is hidden so You can't pull it down to load. Makes it difficult to get all 15 bb's in there. Is there some special loading method or a special speed loader that would help?
It should come with a small plastic bit that fits onto the included speedloader, which will help you load bb's

#41 ·
I'll take some pictures of the speed loader adapter tomorrow or Thursday, Depends on how tired I am when I get home from night shift tomorrow morning ;)

Yea the map pro almost halved the min-max range of my best mag, but still wasn't good enough to field had a 10 fps variance from max to min on the best run. I have a few ideas I'm going to try when the weather gets better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.