Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently thought that the Vibram five finger shoes would be a good idea for a sniper. They have come out with a new model, the KSO Trek. All that this designation entails is that it is made from kangaroo leather(really nice and supple), and have a thicker vibram bottom. I was thinking these may help with feeling the ground and breaking up the foot impact better, thus making the footsep surer and quieter.
Does anybody use them? Recommend them?

http://worldgear3.com/vibrammensfivefingerksotrek.aspx

·
Registered
48 Posts
I actually own a pair of the komodos... I love these shoes to death, mainly because I was a gymnast for about 10 years and everything I did was bare foot. Be warned though when you wear these you will be using muscles that you never use. The first time I took them out I did a 2 mile walk with a mix of urban streets and the forest behind my house... Notice I said walk! My feet hurt pretty bad when I got home, but after short uses I got them broken in and now I wear them everyday all day.

The cons to using these as a sniper shoe is the simple fact that you are going to be bare foot and your ankles and lower leg are gonna be ripped to shreds in the woods especially if you decide you need to crawl. The other con is that the top of the shoes is very thin and if you ever kicked anything or something landed on your foot it would definitely leave a very unpleasant mark...

On the other hand I see your point in the silent factor. But I will elaborate more when I get home, because typing on my phone is a royal pain....

Sooo back to the silent part. These shoes are by far the quietest shoes I have worn in the woods. I'm not too sure if it is because of the small foot print you leave or the fact that you can feel what your stepping on. For me personally I always look ahead of where I am going and determine the path of least resistance.

Point in case, as much as I love my Vibram Komodos I will be sticking to the my favorite boots just for the extra support and reassurance of step just in case.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical-research-kiowa-desert.html

Hope that helps! :)

Later,
JD

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have used these for other activities... but honestly my desert issue Altamas are just as quiet as long as I don't get stupid out there. The shoes I wear wont change how much I weigh... unfortunately, so I'm still going to be breaking just as much stuff. if you're worried about the "grinding" and "crunching" from just walking, find a pair of ripple soled boots with a softer rubber, none of that puncture proof stuff.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have a pair of them now

And they do feel great on the feet, and are really nice when walking around town. I have a game here in a week or so, so I may try them out there, and see what happens. Though I am not planning on holding my breath, as I am still leaning towards a nice pair of boots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry! The battle got postponed to yesterday.

I love them.

My feet have a lot of bug bites.

Do I recommend them for airsoft? Only if you like them elsewhere.
Since they are about $80 for the cheapest pair, I wouldn't go out and buy them just for airsoft. However, if you do have them already, by all means, wear them!

I walked through mud, briars, rocks, brush, logs, everything. After the first battle I stopped princess-toeing it around, and by the last battle I didn't even notice I was wearing them. I wasn't ever afraid of cutting my feet on anything; though if you play in poisonous snake territory, it might not be a good idea to wear these.

I do feel that I was able to walk more quietly, and had an easier time getting a solid footing on rocks and logs than compared to wearing sneakers or boots.

To recap, yes I recommend them if you already own them, or are thinking about buying a pair. I am biased towards them because I already love the shoes so much.

Tip: make sure your ghillie pants or jute are long enough to cover your VFF's. No one wants to see your pasty-white ankles :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.