Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on upgrading my Well VSR10 mb02 sniper and was wondering if there were any recommendations on barrels. I want to increase my accuracy and range so any tips are welcome.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Potential range is a mathematical function of BB weight and muzzle velocity. There are almost no caveats to this, and none that are significant (aside from the obvious over-hop and holdover).

As for accuracy, most seem to agree that bore quality is the primary influence (in which case you'd pick EdGI- expensive and high quality finish), however some argue steel is a superior material to brass (EdGI is only brass), and many people claim modest-priced options like brass Maple Leaf Crazy Jets are as good as the best anyway. Then to decide on barrel length you need to know your cylinder volume and what BB weight you'll want to employ, which requires first picking a BB speed you're happy with, and THAT requires you know what muzzle energy you'll employ (which technically changes based on BB weight!), however you'll want to weigh this preemptive BB weight decision against available BBs' quality because not all ammunition performs equally (and if you think you want to run .43g but the performance of all .43g BBs is lacking, you might go with .45g instead- as example). Then once you have the easy part done, you can decide on inner barrel diameter- oh but if you pick wide enough, it changes the entire equation you used to pick barrel length. Good luck :hehe:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking at maybe a 430mm barrel and a Action Army CNC Hop Up Chamber. I would probably use either .3 or .43 bbs. Do you have any specific recomendations on good barrels?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I personally would pick EdGI for bore quality- and because I don't need to worry about the main reason I've heard steel is better than brass (vibrations), due to using HPA.

For picking BBs, I'm working on a big BB analysis project- seems pretty accurate at predicting BB accuracy from my experience thus far.

·
Registered
351 Posts
How good does the Edgi finish holds though? Because I have first hand witness saying the finish is indeed better than a mirror but after a game it looks just like a stock brass barrel. The claim is a few years ago though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Potential range is a mathematical function of BB weight and muzzle velocity. There are almost no caveats to this, and none that are significant (aside from the obvious over-hop and holdover).

As for accuracy, most seem to agree that bore quality is the primary influence (in which case you'd pick EdGI- expensive and high quality finish), however some argue steel is a superior material to brass (EdGI is only brass), and many people claim modest-priced options like brass Maple Leaf Crazy Jets are as good as the best anyway. Then to decide on barrel length you need to know your cylinder volume and what BB weight you'll want to employ, which requires first picking a BB speed you're happy with, and THAT requires you know what muzzle energy you'll employ (which technically changes based on BB weight!), however you'll want to weigh this preemptive BB weight decision against available BBs' quality because not all ammunition performs equally (and if you think you want to run .43g but the performance of all .43g BBs is lacking, you might go with .45g instead- as example). Then once you have the easy part done, you can decide on inner barrel diameter- oh but if you pick wide enough, it changes the entire equation you used to pick barrel length. Good luck
Or... just wing it 😉

·
Registered
969 Posts
I disagree with the bore quality stuff. It's about as much of an influence as the crazy people that sort and wash their bbs. Which is to say none. If it's somewhat shiny, it will work.

Barrel window and bore size. Tighter the better, and make sure the bucking you're going to use works with the window well or be willing to modify it.

Stock SSG's use a shitty aluminum barrel and still manage 80-90m shots. Its not because they polish the aluminum, it's because the hop up and barrel combo work well together.

430mm with .43g will work well for you, but if you decide to weight the piston you may choose a heavier weight for more energy.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I mostly agree with you there AccurateDMD. I pretty much use any barrel as long as it is a tight bore. Though regarding bore quality, I do not care too much about this apart from that I like my barrels to straight. So I look through them to see if there is any curve.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I disagree with the bore quality stuff. It's about as much of an influence as the crazy people that sort and wash their bbs. Which is to say none. If it's somewhat shiny, it will work.

Barrel window and bore size. Tighter the better, and make sure the bucking you're going to use works with the window well or be willing to modify it.

Stock SSG's use a shitty aluminum barrel and still manage 80-90m shots. Its not because they polish the aluminum, it's because the hop up and barrel combo work well together.

430mm with .43g will work well for you, but if you decide to weight the piston you may choose a heavier weight for more energy.
Regarding bore quality, what about the all the hard grouping evidence of edgi and pdi vs. other barrels. Also, hs5 did a pretty cool video where he compared an r-hopped, non-lapped barrel to a barrel that had a stupid absurd amount of lapping pass throughs:
I know that it certainly isn't perfect, but it may support the idea that finish does matter.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I haven't seen the testing and your link didn't embed properly on the forum (they never do for some reason).

I've never seen any difference in groupings that I would attribute to the barrel quality. I rarely even clean my own barrels and the groupings also never seem to get any worse after 1000-2000 bbs. Anecdotal evidence on my part, but typically when there's a grouping issue it has to do with the bucking or the nub installation, combination in relation to barrel window, or both.

I will say when using brass and bio bbs (in particular) I don't care how much it's lapped... after 100 bbs its gonna be dirty as hell. The steel seems to not gunk up as fast for one reason or another, but it still eventually does, and I still typically don't clean it.

That said, I also don't lock my rifles into a vice and test them indoors. I do it outdoors in as little wind as possible (haha) and typically use a sitting or standing supported firing position.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I believe there has to be a difference between barrels of diff bore qualities. That being said, you are likely right, in that the difference between barrels may be negligable in realistic conditions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How good does the Edgi finish holds though? Because I have first hand witness saying the finish is indeed better than a mirror but after a game it looks just like a stock brass barrel. The claim is a few years ago though.
Yeah that's total nonsense. Both my EdGI barrels are still mirror finish- one of which is plenty of years old. Sounds like this person maybe just looked into the window and saw BB gunk- because yes from my experience most plastic BBs quickly mark their presence opposite the window cut / hop up pressure (and you can also usually see streak marks at the muzzle).

your link didn't embed properly on the forum (they never do for some reason).
[...]
The steel seems to not gunk up as fast for one reason or another
Right-click and inspect the page, you can find the YouTube key, copy that, paste it in Google and YouTube will come up. In this case it's rzhYR6s2kJE
I'm inclined to say the color of steel would simply make it harder to tell- but brass is softer, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was both.

First of all, I strongly believe all of the following are more important than the barrel:
  • BBs
  • Nub
  • Bucking
  • The rigidity of the entire inner-barrel-to-scope unit
I don't think the barrel has much of a role in accuracy (assuming reasonable baseline), and my perspective on it is anecdotal at best but mostly intuition/theory with strong influence by someone making absurdly long shots with veritably flawless ceramic ammo...
But...'tight as possible', and 'bore finish doesn't matter'? I feel like that's the least safe bet you could make. 'Wide bore' + 'bore quality is moot' can make sense to me, 'bore width is moot' + 'bore quality is important' can make sense to me, but I feel like the very logic suggesting tighter bore is better is the same logic that would suggest bore quality matters. The only exception I can think of would be "Air cushion theory is reality, which is why bore quality doesn't matter - because the BB NEVER touches the barrel - and a tighter bore is better because the BB takes a straighter path." However I don't believe that; rather, I could believe that if barrels were PERFECTLY straight to the degree relevant for a 5.95mm BB, but I do not believe that- I do believe bore quality helps with that though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I second that miraculous EdGi shine. I also don’t clean my barrels often, because I ... forget lol. But my 500mm that has around 2,000 shots through it is still squeaky clean. The bucking was a little dirty upon inspection so I just cleaned that and slapped her back together. Granted it was an autobot 60° so being yellow, dirt is easy to see.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
So I don't clean my barrel very often now either. Maybe once every 6 months (I don't use bios and so the barrel don't gunk up much even though I use 6.01mm).
I also look after our club guns (about 20 of them). I have been looking after them for about 8-9 years now. The last time I cleaned the barrels on them was about 7 years ago. So they are not clean at all. When firing them, they seem just as accurate as my M4 that has the same fps rating and that is after I install a new clean inner barrel in my M4.
Personally, like the others said, I believe it has more to do with bucking and bb quality. As long as the barrel does not have a bend it in, then it is fine.
I use tight bore only because it creates better efficiency. Since it gives more fps, it could be said that they are more accurate than wide bore. But if you have a wide bore at x energy rate and a tight bore that fires at the same energy rate, then the accuracy will be about the same.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yea, I go tight for the efficiency and fps increase. I don't believe you'd see a lot of difference between a 6.05 and a 5.98 in accuracy though. There's even some SRS crazies on facebook convinced 6.05 is the ideal bore diameter for that rifle for... some reason I haven't deduced and they haven't explained.

I wasn't saying the bore quality doesn't matter period. Merely that if it's half decent, you're gonna be fine if everything is locked up tight and straight.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The theory of super wide bore barrels is that the BB is more stable and less likely to hit the interior of the barrel. With the SRS having some huge 41-43cc (forgot which exactly) volume they probably just capitalized on it and just go for the biggest bore.

The tighter the barrel however the less air loss and the more FPS you can squeeze out from it. That's why people wanted better quality barrels (which imo as long as it's not godawful tier of unsmooth it does not matter if it's PDI Raven or EDGI).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. You all have helped me as I am quite new to upgrading airsoft guns. I will keep all you people have said in mind as I continue looking in to different barrels. If you have any more suggestions they are welcome, I just wanted to say thanks for the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts