Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound kind of ridiculous to some, but has anyone tried running a vsr with a red dot? Mainly for a more aggressive playstyle "scout" rifle. I feel like the extra field of view would be nice. Playing more aggressive and still being able to make long range shots would be fun. Going to give it a try and see how it goes.

· Registered
3,684 Posts
The Japanese do it a ton.

If you look at real firearms use, red dots are good to like 0-400m depending on skill, dot size, and the gun used, but in airsoft a red dot will work for everything we have. The only reason I run a 3-9 scope on my sniper and M4 is because I want to see if I hit somebody, and I want to see where my BBs are going.

I recommend that you just get one of those $20 ones to start with, as that will be a good representation of what to expect, and maybe after that if you like it, buy a Vortex, as they will replace it free of charge every time you break it.

· Registered
448 Posts
Had a mate years ago who ran nothing but red dots and swore by it - so I tried it myself with some success. For most engagement ranges the speed of acquisition is brilliant and as long as the reticle ISN'T a red dot (I had a Walter which had graduated stadia) then you can also make hits at quite extended ranges. Not that you need to have different reticles, that's just a personal foible.......plus the MOA size of many red dots is a little on the large side to be ideal - again, subjective. These days I run a 1-6 power scope on my "scout" rifles with a 30mm tube so I have a fast reaction time close up, and the capability to zoom for longer shots when they present themselves.

· Registered
240 Posts
This might sound kind of ridiculous to some,
Not at all...But aggressiveness doesn't determined by the equipment, but by mentality.
A sniper with a DMR, equipped with red dot: Is useful (not necessary) for fast targeting at close ranges (20-30m), for example when enemy suddenly appears.
A sniper with a bolt action and red dot: You' d better get the 1 shot kill at close ranges before enemy spot you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts