Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's great man. I have quite a few great Corpsman friends. I had one in my sniper team too. He's now LAPD in South Central. I had a friend who had the same thing happen to him. They knew about your eyesight before but they wait to spring it on you. He became a Swift boat crewman. They get all the same schools as SEALs with the exception of BUD/S. All the training, missions, and glory, with none of the BS.

Either way, Corpsman is a sweet option. Just make sure you get that FMF badge asap. You'll still have to prove yourself to whatever unit on the green side you end up with but a lot of respect still comes with that silly little device.

Keep rocking man.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Firstly , congratulations , and don't get discouraged easily .
I'm an Air Force master sergeant now with 15 years of duty (in a different Air Force though), and all I can tell you is that many more opportunities will arise as you progress through the ranks and experience . I have attended many schools during those 15 years of service and many more will come to attend till the end of my career.

P.S. I recently discovered that raising twins (4 months old) , is much more tougher than any SF school ! Babies are relentless ! More demanding than any instructor I've ever met !

·
Registered
974 Posts
Welcome back, Mike. Sorry to hear you weren't cut out for the SEALS but recon corpsman sounds pretty badass anyway. Just get saving for the Lasik! Great to see you back on the forums and hope to hear more from you as you progress through NHCS.

Cheers,

-Jamie

·
Registered
100 Posts
WB Mosin!

That sucks about the SEAL thing, maybe your destined for something else though... The corpsman thing sounds really cool, half my fam is into medicine. Where you stationed at?

Also this is probably not the place or the time but are you guys thinking about a sniper challenge 2?

Glad to have you back!

sticks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to hear that, even though i don't know you, i really thought you could make it to seal , you seemed so determined to do it and all, but at least you can be on the military, i cant join the army because i live in Mexico and my country doesn't pay enough to our soldiers, and a whole lot of other stuff , and i always have dreamed about being on the US Infantry , after all , we are allies , and if someone know a way that i can get into the us military please tell me, i don't wanna get on the us army because i need money or anything , i live well in my country , i want to be on the army because its a dream to me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's not like he washed out or something guys. Some people can't be pilots because they are to tall or short. Some people can't be SEALs because the sphere of their eyeball doesn't fit the requirements. I had to get a medical waiver for my eyesight to join the Marines...some people have to get waivers because of legal issues or any number of things.

It sucks that he couldn't do the SEAL program yes, but it was nothing in his control so we needn't talk about it like he failed or didn't measure up. In my honest opinion, SEALs think they're cooler than they really are anyway. You're better off!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Embed said:
Agreed, he is better off. Because now you can save lives rather than take them, Mos! It's noble.
he may still have to take a few to save more than a few. "preventive medicine" as it is called
mosin and a few others might know what i mean. GS corpsmen are combat corpsmen, with equal emphasis on the Combat and Medicine

being a diver corpsman ain't that bad mos, diver medicine school isn't as easy as you might think. but then again, you may have to qual for diver once you go SARC. i think they qualify for scuba diver, iirc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just go buy some motrin, sunflower seeds, water, and some straws. Hand those out and you're already up to speed with all the non special ops corpsmen....

You could also throw in a thermometer if you want to be funny.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
gh0st said:
Embed said:
Agreed, he is better off. Because now you can save lives rather than take them, Mos! It's noble.
he may still have to take a few to save more than a few. "preventive medicine" as it is called
mosin and a few others might know what i mean. GS corpsmen are combat corpsmen, with equal emphasis on the Combat and Medicine

being a diver corpsman ain't that bad mos, diver medicine school isn't as easy as you might think. but then again, you may have to qual for diver once you go SARC. i think they qualify for scuba diver, iirc.
I'm glad that you're here again mate! =) I've been off recently since my nurse studies... Being a corpsman really ain't a bad thing at all. I myself am an corpsman corporal myself and it is the best I can imagine to do in the army. I couldn't shoot another human... Unless it is kill or be killed situation. But to be able to help those that are in dire need while ignorantly risking your own life... Can't think of anything better in combat... But that's me. =D In our army medics/corpsmen aren't allowed to attack or shoot (except for defending yourself and/or wounded) and I'm perfectly fine with it. ^^ Even though I earned golden/ 1st class marksmanship badge in our shooting tests. =D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Geneva Convention legislature is all about treatment of prisoners of war. Hague Convention deals with who can shoot who with what. Common mistake made by nearly everyone in the military. Just like people say it's against the Geneva Convention to shoot people with the .50cal (you know, "so target their web gear"...). That would be found in the Hague Convention except that it isn't. The .50 is designed and intended as anti-materiel, but isn't restricted to laws. Otherwise, yours truly would be in Leavenworth.

In our team, Doc carried 800 rounds of linked 5.56mm on his chest for "his" M249.

·
Registered
299 Posts
He works South Central with the LAPD now. We didn't have any option, so he carried it because the team needed it, not because he wanted it. He could have pulled the "I'm a Corpsman" punk card and carried less, but that would have put it another one of us, and we were already maxed out.

He wasn't wirey at all. He actually enlisted as a Ship Firefighter, but lat-moved and became a Corpsman after two years (so he was in for six). He looked fat, but could move with the best of them. Never fell out of hikes, but couldn't run to save his life. He had to get selected to be in the Sniper platoon, he wasn't just assigned there.

Remember, you're at the beginning of your career. Your ability ramps up with your conditioning gradually. When I started, a 15k hike with 55lbs (no ammo, no body armor) seemed like a death march. At the end of my career, I was moving 15k through the night with 125lbs and hardly breaking a sweat and still able to fight when I got where I was going.

If you do go green side, you'll have a huge learning curve to get over. You'll be treated worse, pushed harder, AND everyone will hate you because your a soft-unproven Doc who has to live up the legends that passed before you (or shit bag Docs people will never forget). You are held to a higher standard.

Respect is the ultimate commodity in the military. It's very hard to gain, but the principle is simple. The more you talk, even casually, the more respect decreases (even among your best friends). The more you let your results speak for you and remain humble, the more it will increase.

People will not trust you. You will have to earn the trust by doing your best to live up to impossible standards without talking about it. Even after you've gained the trust and begin dealing in respect, opening your mouth will cause it to disintegrate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.