Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL R2 Skorpion Mini-Review.

PURCHASING:
I got this replica from a local walk-in store for 110 USD. You can find it online for around 90 USD. I spent the extra 20 for a chance to inspect the replica before purchase.

PACKAGE:
It comes in a pretty standard box with the name and picture of the gun on it, along with the typical warnings. The box is pretty sturdy, and I'll probably use it for a carrying case. It includes the gun, a stick mag, a drum mag, an old-style speedloader, a battery and a charger. The battery and charger are proprietary: Don't lose or destroy them. The charger IS a 110V charger, so you won't need an adapter.

First Impressions:
After I removed the rail on the front end of the replica, it looks pretty good. The upper receiver and pistol grip are a nice and durable plastic, the lower receiver and possibly the outer barrel are a metal of unknown composition (not heavy enough for potmetal). The stock and other bits are steel, or at least potmetal with iron filings/dust in it. For a replica of an Eastern Bloc weapon, it feel very nice in the hands.

The selector, which is above the pistol grip is a tad strange. The middle is safe, the rear setting is SA, the forward setting is FA. Odd, but it works. It doesn't click into safe, but full and semi aren't going anywhere. It can be operated with your thumb, only if you're right-handed.

Both the stick mag and the drum mag are sturdy, I've put a few loads of BBs through them for break-in, and they haven't jammed yet. The Drum hols upwards of 300 rounds, the stick mag holds about fifty. Both lock into the magwell nicely. Talking about the magwell, mags are inserted and withdrawn vertically, and the release button is on the left side of the weapon.

The gun has a folding stock with a tiny length of pull. If you wear glasses, looking through the pistol-style iron sights will be hard. That's because the real Skorpion's stock is angled downwards, the one on the WELL Skorpion is not. There's a few degrees of vertical wobble on the stock, but I'm nitpicking. The angle is no big problem, as choking forward on the weapon puts the sights in the middle of my glasses lenses. The sights have two settings, one marked "150", the other blank.

The gearbox is an MP7-type GB made from metal, the sort of black metal that JG, CYMA and DBoys now use. The hopup is proprietary to the Skorpion, but (I believe) TM-compatible. That being said, it shouldn't be a problem because if you're using this for long-range engagements, you need to re-think a few things.

I haven't done a proper shooting test, but on a quarter-charged 7.2v battery, it has the trigger response of an AEG on a fully-charged Elite 8.4v battery. Pretty respectable. There was a bit of motor whine, probably from a lack of charge. With the battery charged, the trigger response and ROF are pretty comparable to an AEG on a 9.6v battery.

FIRING:
With the hopup cleaned, the little kicker can get .20s to about 70 feet. They kinda float, though. I'm guessing it pulls about 250 FPS. It's very fun to shoot, if you do a lot of plinking while you aren't skirmishing.

The pros and cons can be summed up in one phrase: It's an AEP. It's cheap and doesn't mind the cold, but it's low-powered and short-ranged.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Nice write up so far, looking forward to pictures. As for the sights; I find it easier to fire all smaller SMGs the same way you're supposed to fire a P90, i.e. seated in the middle of your chest. Usually this will negate most site issues, espeically if you wear a face mask or goggles. Then again, I'm a 2-eyed shooter so thats more natural for me anyway.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hm, the battery problem I can understand. The range and dropping off I would discount to it being an AEP and a WELL... meaning that there is obvious room for improvement in the GB and hop up, nothing that couldn't be taken care of/improved with some DIY and a few replacement parts... then again you're the one with the gun in hand, not me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.