Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
First off, huge thanks for this! Couple of questions on how this works - or let me think out loud:

-We're juggling a lot of variables here. Which factor is most important?

Energy
BB weight
Amount of Hop
Volume Ratio
Barrel Length

My gut says BB Weight, with Energy being close second, because the way the projectile behaves in the air is what we're really after. However, we tend to work with or think of guns in terms of energy output, so sometimes that becomes a primary consideration. Amount of Hop applied depends on BB weight, so there's just sort of a "right answer" for a given BB, but it gets colored by the other factors and type of hopup system, etc. Barrel Length and Voluming are just about efficient ways of achieving the above effects. And then those have follow-on effects in gearbox efficiency, sound levels, etc.

-So, if I start with the BB and work down the list from there: I want to shoot .32/.33g BBs. How little gun can I get away with?

-Now, let's impose a 1.5j limit as our primary consideration (because rules/playstyle goals). Is there a maximum useful BB weight for highly efficient bucking styles like a Crazy Jet/Hybrid, or a really well set-up RHop/flat hop in a 1.5j gun? Or, is there a practical FPS/energy floor for those styles of bucking?

-If so, what would be your highest expectation for the range potential of a 1.5J gun be?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm surprised you recommend as high as a .36g. Seems like muzzle velocity might be a bit low, so I'm interested in why you find that weight works.

The first post mentions matching barrel length to ported cylinder volumes, but I assume we could do the opposite as well? In order to keep overall rifle length down and have a handier gun, I could give up some compression length? Then, maybe bump up a spring to keep it in the 1.5j ballpark, and hopefully since that energy level is all I'm trying to accomplish it won't be too extreme a gearbox setup - not too far into diminishing returns.

Edit: Oh, derp. Y'all just covered this a few posts before.

Edit 2: This tells me that the volume ratio is more important than the actual barrel length, in terms of the list of priorities in my post above.

My interest is more along the lines of maximizing an average size gun (m4 or similar) at average energies than in chasing the extremes of what's possible in a DMR. More of a sleeper build, I guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts