Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what do you think of this pic of USMC Scout Snipers during the Vietnam War. I was quite surprised to see them with Ghillie Suits. I know that Ghillie Suits have been around since before WW1 but I didn't know they were a feature of the Vietnam War.

If anyone else can find Vietnam Ghillie pics, by all means, post them here.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all looks pretty modern.... I would be very surprised if that was actually a Vietnam taken picture. I could be totally wrong but it just seems wrong...
Well firstly,
note the M40A1 rifle,(Vietnam),
EDRL camo uniform(Vietnam),
The soil on the ground is also similar if not the same color as the soil scene in pics of the Vietnam war.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Rifle is a m40a1, not a m40. M40's were replaced with the a1's in the early 70's. Slim, but still possible to find the a1 in vietnam. Although rifle is equipped the Unertl 10x Tactical Scope wich where fitted in the early 80's. This is not a Vietnam picture.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Actually ghillie suits were invented hundreds of years ago by woodsmen in england that were hired to stop poachers from killing the kings deer. They just took old pieces of cloth and sowed them to a jacket or something like that. But im guessing they were first used my military in WWl.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Dang you Wonko I was going to post that as well.

That is not fron Vietnam, while I am sure that the snipers used ghillies, this picture is a newer one. Probably was taken with a filter on the lens to make it look older.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dang you Wonko I was going to post that as well.

That is not fron Vietnam, while I am sure that the snipers used ghillies, this picture is a newer one. Probably was taken with a filter on the lens to make it look older.
Quite possible, though it was listed as a Vietnam War picture so I thoughr iI would put it up.

@spellisaac: Ghillie suits were actually invented in Scotland and were used by Scottish gamekeepers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.