Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, been playing a bit over a year and a half, and started out as the standard M4 user. Older, almost 50, and did not care for CQB play at first (that has changed due to new field/options/experience) and switched to a DMR type role.

Avalon has been primary AEG and have my beloved "Frank" as an SBR setup. Have a Kythera UGS. KWA LM4's. and now SSG10. I have teched/learning on all my own guns for it is fun for me to tinker....

About 2 weeks ago, someone had a SSG10 (A1), that they were basically giving away, so I bit. Changed to A3 stock, WASP piston, LH conversion, and cramming more info about another class, viola another role added.

Which is great in the Midwest, b/c I don't have to go running about in the Summer months, as much, but I am DEFINITELY ready for the Fall months.

Look forward to learning, and usually 'stalk' the forum for a bit before joining, but hey, trying the full send option....

Cheers,
BroHay

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not of chosen it for my first outing , I got lit up by a Speed player the very first time I ever played the game (almost ended before it started)

It is growing on me though. I have been looking at a PDW type platform for my CQ setup .

just need to get rid of some more weight so it does not hurt as much, being shot in the sensitive parts (sides). No 350, it's 400 with no med.....working on my LM4 for another platform .

I am thinking , for added element of fun on the field, to go hide on the weeds and start picking off players to make things interesting

BroHay

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only went to this field b/c they offered night time play (cooler temps) and I had not played since June. It also has a big Kill House which I may be building something similar for my normal outdoor field.

Call it 'research'.....

Cheers,
BroHay

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finding out that son has an activity tomorrow 10 mins from Field.....mad dash to gather kit and see how this current ssg build fields.

Also may try and implement use of grenades depending upon how many bodies are in the field Tomorrow (bunch of firsts......)

Cheers,
BroHay

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, many different new scenarios yesterday.

Some just learning, others were why upgrades probably came about.....

When testing, was always mindful of the hop adjustment . Well, walk thru vegetarion/Devils Claw, and that lever moved easily. First shot in game play just kinda fell out of the barrel.

I did learn that the pistol is more effective at close range when I closed a 40' gap on enemy team when I popped up out of cover.

Sniping , during skirmishes, does not allow time to get to spot before play ends. Young(er) book it, this old(er) gent walks (unless I am being pursued).

Switched to SBR, b/c we were getting hammered, and seemed to always be in the cross hairs of the other teams snipers. Vegetation being an added bonus, but with better crafting, I now see why patrols just don't see them.

So, those are some quick thoughts on play in almost 100° temps yesterday with high humidity.

My "easy" day does does not have me feeling that I took it easy yesterday......

Cheers,
BroHay

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, I just came across a vfc mp5a5, thoughts anyone?

RMR. Light. Silencer . 4 mags. Extended mag release.

Could also serve for a cqb platform when I feel like elevating the heart rate?

EDIT: so, after some further investigation, it appears that the vfc mp5 is v2 compatible with a long motor type. It appears that I'll be able to swap bits from my Avalon Saber platform .

Who here runs other secondary weapons other than pistol?

Cheers,
BroHay

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be honest, my RS/Airsoft knowledge is practically zero when it comes to what is what. However, I am turning that corner and starting to pay attention more.

For airsoft, I look at what I currently have on hand , as far as various parts, and then how much of that is compatible with guns already owned. It has provided me some success and been easier with the pocket book .

I bit the bullet early and went with quality over entry (Avalon Saber) and it has done rt by me. I would not say Fanboy and VFC or bust, but all of my replicas, from them, have done well by me with little little TLC.

Playing 1-2 times /month (when cooler)shooting maybe 3-5 140 Rd mags / gameday is nothing in the general use, AND funding my addiction and my sons simultaneously. So, all the gear/guns share similar specs so if one goes down, it won't be much of a problem to get back up and running

This forum has already expanded my thoughts on the sport, and afraid it might end up bad for the bank account.

Cheers,
BroHay

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Eh, Airsoft can be expensive. I have multiple guns i have poured $1000 plus on. Does it make them better then the ones I didn't spend that on? Debatable. You can certainly do airsoft on the cheap. Really depends on what it is you are really after.

As of late I have been using a SAW. And that has been one expensive gun. Between feeding it bbs, and it eating batteries... guh...
I saw my first SRS out on the field, and while old hat for you long timers, it was a thing of beauty. A recent build by a player getting ready for War games in Missouri the first weekend of September.

Ill be all in for about 5-600 (with a short/long barrel setup) with the initial purchase and parts when it is done. I'll (hopefully) have a better appreciation for it when I get it finally dialed in. After reading some of the older threads, I am just focused on the platform.infront of me. Learn about it, and then love to the next one.

Forgetting what I just said, I ended up purchasing the mp5 , sold some other guns to fund, so I guess I am in the buy it/try it start of the airsoft journey .

Cheers ,
BroHay

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SRS are quite nice. I want one, but I am not looking for one as it would for me be "just another spring sniper." Hence why I bought this instead.

Unless the bolt can be easily switched to LH, your suggestion will probably remain just that with my present skillset of "I could probably get that to work"

Cheers,
BroHay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts