Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty simple question, complicated to answer. What's the perfect VSR stock? Does one even exist? I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on stocks as I'm not sure there's a "perfect" stock for the VSR. What's y'alls favorite out of the all the mass-produced and custom ones out there?

And now for the hard part: if you had to list out the features of YOUR perfect VSR stock, what would that include?

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clearly I’m working on a stock. Just trying to see if I’m on the right path. So far so good it seems. Blind I have a feeling you’ll like what I’m doing.

Whats everyone’s thoughts on mags? Seems like everyone has dummy magazines at this point, but I normally don’t like “dummy” parts. Ideally, should we even use VSR mags? What if we could use some other standard box mag instead?

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So currently my list of key features is (and what I'm working on so far):

-Full air stock compatibility with designs that use standard AR buffer tube threads (with zero flexible air lines used internally)
-Detachable box magazine with correct placement (zero compatibility with standard VSR mags though)
-Free floated barrel (also means that it currently should only be used with rigid receivers and barrels)
-AR pistol grips
-One piece design

Admittedly I've got a decent way to go with the design, but the basics are there. Kinda why I'm asking what features everyone wants since I can try to add things.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At this point, you should just make your own rifle..
I mean I'm getting pretty close lol. There's not much left in this thing that isn't custom. It's nice keeping to the VSR base part compatibility though because it opens the door for plenty of configs and options if desired.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If price point matches an MDT you have me sold on the chassis 👌🏻
No promises lol. Currently just trying to make something that doesn't do the same thing every other VSR stock does.

AR pistol grip
No pic rails anywhere (that's you ML)
Rigid plastic with metal inserts, maybe Delrin or glass fiber Nylon (one of the better PA series)
Real steel buffer tube threading, with a skelly stock option available
C bands with screws to lock down your outer barrel
Super slim
Either takes M4 or AR-308 mags
Realistic mag placement
M-LOK everywhere
Super light
AR-15 compatible trigger guard
Built in mag block

That's about it, but at that point like somebody said, you may as well slide the action way back to make it a semi bullpup, make a fatter and shorter cylinder, make a more compact and less shitty trigger system.
If you're going that far, I'd make an outer barrel that isn't 30 mil OD as pretty much all sniper barrels look dumb. I'd do a more hunting rifle style profile, maybe with fluting, but I think a taper would be hard, heavy, expensive, and mostly pointless.
Could make both that and a VSR stock though.

Also, buffer tubes look stupid as hell on a gun that doesn't have a buffer system, so I'd definitely look at the afore . mentioned skelly stock if one isn't using a UGS setup.
The barrel is going to be completely free-floated in this one. I'm not a fan of all the airsoft rifles screwing their outer barrels to the stocks, potentially bending them and affecting accuracy. This will be done how real rifles are with mounting holes only for the receiver and extremely sturdy supports for those areas. The stiffness of the outer barrel will totally depend on the receiver design used by the user.

Otherwise, pretty much already doing your entire list lol.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Currently using Marui M40 mags because of their look and the particular feed mechanism. There's not enough room to make a magazine that feeds out of the top fit without looking stupid to my eye.

Will add QD points as well.

Also, debating if it's worth all the extra weight to use aluminum. Keeping to the same design, switching to plastic drops the weight by 2/3.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I'm gonna make it happen in some form. I have it set up now with a removable handguard so that it doesn't become so expensive, not confident this will be cheap though. At the very least I'm going to make some out of plastic just to try. I've just wanted a real air stock and I'm so tired of VSR mags I need to make this happen just for myself lol. If only Mancraft would ship me my parts faster...

Trigger Air gun Machine gun Gun barrel Wood

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Could it be made potentially cheaper if, instead of using a custom handguard, you used something like the Magpul Zhukov handguard?
Hmmm, maybe? Though it might be hard finding something that would go with the look well enough. I'll look around though.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think I'm going to target plastic with aluminum strengthening sections for the stock. Between the weight advantages, plus the absolute pain in the ass it is to get it made economically it just makes a lot more sense to do plastic. Should be somewhere around 0.75lb (not including whatever buffer tube or air stock is on there).

Here's a render
Automotive tire Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Want. Any rough idea on price yet??
Really depends on what plastic I go with (all would probably be laser sintered) as well as how much strengthening I throw in. I think if there’s minimal strengthening it could be somewhere around $300, but maybe $400? Idk, really depends. I will almost certainly lean more towards stronger as opposed to cheaper though. Still significantly less than I was quoted for all aluminum lol.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sounds perfect lol. I’m prepared to spend $400+ on an MDT that would need milling and god knows what else modified. Yours being the way I want it to look, taking real steel mags, lighter than MDT and made for a vsr? Count me in.
*Tokyo Marui M40 mags, not real steel.

I updated a bunch of the design with strengthening sections. In theory this will all work, and I highly doubt the plastic will be an issue now. Had to redesign the mag actuation system since the first design I had broke the feed lips on my mag. New one shouldn't. Still waiting on stuff from mancraft so I can't finish the rear section. Also, if anyone has wolverine/polarstar airstocks I'd love pics and measurements. Otherwise, nearly done.

Machine gun Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Tree

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Yes , I have a polarstar stock (with adapter) for the 13ci tank setup using a UGS. I don't have a regulator or tank b/c I was happy with the 12g setup. I have not gone into HPA anymore than the Kythera at the present time.

What measurements do you need?

BroHay
I've got just the UGS reg, with both the TM and AR adapters.

What do you need?
Basically every dimension in front of the buffer tube threads (for both designs if possible). Trying to get the air tube section to fit through the rear of the stock. And on the type 1 (the one mean for milspec receivers) how does the air line attach? Is it just a press in or does it lock in there somehow?

Edit: the ID of their air tube would be good too.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I’ve had type 1 and type 2, it’s basically the length of the nipple or face that the air line sits in. The main issue will be making sure the line stays in place. I honestly hate the design of the cgs/ugs regs. The line sits in them with 2 o rings. No fitting, no qd collar. It sits in the reg and is held there by the pressure of the line from the engine. Not air pressure, the tension of the line. So the line has to be the proper length to work. What I did was make a block or collar to sit against the base of the fitting into the cgs/ugs reg. Then it stays in place when you thread the buffer to x depth. I could send you my UGS stock to play around with, I won’t be needing it until I have your stock or an MDT anyways.
I'd greatly appreciate it if you wanted to let me borrow the stock for a bit. I think the wolverine stock uses a very similar system so should work for both. I'm probably going to have a permanent fitting in the stock that fits inside those extension tubes on the stock, then have a regular nipple on the other end. That way you wont need to worry about keeping tension on the air line to hold it in place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts