Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have seen this mentioned but not really clearly defined, but what would you guys generally consider to be the par accuracy of a "sniper"? The reason that I ask is because I think I am begining to hold my builds to a little too high a standard for an airsoft gun and Im getting frustrated with them.

So to establish a base lets say 150' from a prone supported (as if you were zeroing), what would be an acceptable group size you would be content to play with?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think you mean sniper rifle. a 'Sniper' is the shooter, a sniper rifle is what a sniper uses to do his job. Also it dependes on what you play, whether it is field or urban, also how far you are shooting.

My well mb05 is shooting 1 foot groupings at about 150' feet, were I play that is about close to my max(the field I play at is about 100yards by 100 yards).I consider that pretty good for a springer with only a tight bore and zero trigger.

I think what you need to do is set a goal, like mine was first I want to get accuracy, then power. So it all is what you want in that gun, just remember this is not the real steal so half a mile shoot is not going to happen. Also you have to be realistic with it, you are not going to have 3in groupings at 200 feet, or able to shoot 400 feet and still be legal fps to play on a field.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, my mistake on the terminology. i second guessed it when i was typing it, but i was on my iPod toward the end of my lunch when i started this post. so I didnt want to go back and edit it

And believe me, I understand patience is key, but what good is it if you wait and wait for that one shot at 190/200 ft and it hooks outside of what you expect? lol, its happened more than once to me.

and its not like I expect anything close to real steel performance from these, even my ASR (I can typically hold a .5" group with my real steel AR at 50m, so I understand that aspect lol). I guess what I am looking for is a general accuracy that we can expect from our equipment. say 9/10 on 8.5x11 at 150' or an over all 6-8" group with no fliers at 180' etc. At what point do you look at your rifle and say to yourself "that'll do pig". I picked ~150' because that seems to typically be a good range to zero at if you are engaging closer at lower FPS or trying to reach out to 210'+.

I understand the individual characteristics, matching your BB weight, FPS, barrel type, BB cleaning practices, barrel treatment etc. So I'm not asking "how do you get there", I'm more trying to get at where is the line between a noob with a 509x6.01 in his PSG1 that mommy and daddy bought him and a legitimate sniper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is how the "sniper" acts on the field. Those "noobs" generally shoot every target on sight while a legitimate sniper picks the most important or the most significant threat to his team. As some snipers say, sniping is 90% recon, 10% shooting.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks and I do agree with Del in the 90-10 thing, what makes a leget sniper( a super leet) is one who knows when to make the right shot to help his squad. The guy who can reach out and touch you, but doesn't brag about it. The guy who tells his team where the opfor are and plan a flank maneuver, rather try and go down guns blazing with a pistol.
Also like I said before, it all depends on who you play with, were you play, and what kind of role you plan on playing. I just played a game were I fired maybe 10-15 rounds in a 8 hour game, I was doing more recon then shooting, I would love to say that my recon skills saved the day but it didn't. But it is what you make of it, remember a sniper is someone who is not scene or herd till the guy next to you is saying "HIT HIT HIT" for no reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.