Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on other forums I see people bickering about what good range is.

In your opinion, what is good range for a bolt rifle with and without R hops etc...
As far back as I can remember the average Aeg reaches out about 150-170ft.
And an average bolt rifle isnt much different and untill the last few years a 200ft shot with a bolt rifle was average to good. People keep telling new guys not to get a bolt rifle cause they range nearly the same and its bolt action so the aeg is a smarter choice. I feel without an R hop, 250ft accurate range is pretty good, but others have told me that I'm too easily satisfied and that 250ft accurate range is hardly even good,lol..
When I had my ole L96 shooting about 300ft I was called a liar and that its not possible "that was back in 06 or 07.."

Whats your opinions on good range?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Rifle Specs:
Well MB08
-PDI Hopup Unit
-PDI W-Hold Rubber
-PDI Raven 6.01 495mm Precision barrel
-PDI Raven Cylinderset
-PDI Vacuum Piston
-Barrel spacer

Using .30g bb's

I have a range of about 80-85m, torso accurate. (Still working on constancy) I find this range good. I managed 95m shots (Hold over, static target 1 out of 20 shots hit) absolute range. Also had succesfull hold over shots exceeding 85 meters though.

What i've experienced here is:

50-60m: standard range
60-70m: decent/good range
70-80m: excellent range
>80m: awesome range

most people here also share this opinion. It might be different in the states where you can use non-bio ammo and higher fps.

i hope to extend my range to the 100m range. Then i'll be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So then my M28 getting 250ft accurate range is in the awesome range? I'm figuring it could maybe get more but I just have no way to actually range test it. I need to go to a firing range indoors,lol.. the last game I went to, I found myself going head to head with another sniper. He had something that looked like a bar10. I saw someone moving and took a shot and missed, he took a shot and it basically dropped before it got to me, then I fired again and got a headshot,lol.. "I didnt mean to hit his head" but I outranged him by maybe 20-30ft. I admit I wanted to laugh and jump for joy! Hahaha.. the rifleman near me was like" whoa dude! Awesome shot and gave me a big smile and a thumbs up.. After taking out the enemy sniper, the 4 other guys on his squad rolled out and I never saw them again. We searched and searched but no luck. I must say I am very impressed with this M28! All stock except a few DIY mods like teflon taped cylinder threads, teflon taped bucking and a shimmed hopup arm and a Tdc mod. "And my piston with a better air seal" I crono'd at 440 ish with .2's but I use .4's in games.

Anyways, so if I were to R hop this sucker I could get how much more out of it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
250ft to 275ft easily on a man size target with my sniper. Although hitting a 12" group not possible at that distance, but anywhere on the person to me is fine because it is a hit.

None of my AEG or even DMR can reach that distance.

To achieve it thought I am using .36 to .40 because the extra stability needed for the extended range.

Also run the highest magnification so that you will be force to squeeze the trigger, not pull it and upset the rifle position at time of fire.

·
Registered
398 Posts
250 is pretty awesome range without R-hop, with r-hop though an AEG can still reach out and touch you. from everything i have read and seen on R-hops and ER-hops you should be able to kick your range out another 100 feet if you get good .4's or .43's.

·
Registered
287 Posts
At 200 feet I want 100% hit rate on a person, if I pull the trigger and did my job I want the gun to deliver. At 250 feet I want 70-80% chance to hit the person. I guess it depends on where you play, but at my play area I can get that close easy, and find myself not taking shots longer than than 250 feet because people just move to much.

At Operation Lightning Strike 3 I was taking shots out over 420 feet because of my elevated position (if you were there I was the sniper in LS1 6th floor) and these are the farthest I have shot and hit in game. All shots were verified with a Simmons laser range finder.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heck yeah, another 100ft would be sweet,lol.. But like Dobey said, I dont normally engage at that distances. I usually fire at 100-200 ft. I have takin longer distance shots and surprised myself but I dont care to give away my position unless its for a good reason. I also normally only open fire on a target I am 95% sure I can get the kill on.And if I fire apon someone at 200-250ft I am certain I will get the kill, unless wind or the guy moves real fast.

I dont like to take chances if I dont have to..:tup:

I considered just getting a better bucking and see what happens. I fear the annoyingness of the r hop. I honestly dont wanna open my rifle 20 times and sanding the patch and putting it all back together, ugh, still not right so I get to take it all back apart again.. Yeah, no thanks lol.. By the time I get the r hop perfect I will have messed up screw holes and annoyed myself so much I would be sick.:doh:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've always thought for the average man with average materials on hand (not an r-hop) who haven't been on this forum, 250 feet is pretty good. For the people who have been "enlightened" with the r-hop and other ways to bring up accuracy, and who have been on this forum a while, a little over 300 is good. There are of course the people who can't get over 150 feet, and the people who have figured out how to get 400 feet.

Then there's Cheese...

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sold on the R Hop idea. Too much work tuning it.

I am sure someone will come up with something that is just a drop-in and that would become a hit.
I kinda feel the same way actually. I can get kills all day long without one. And like I mentioned, I can already get 250ft kills without much worries of missing. I used to have way crappy guns back in the day,lol.. I whooped @$$ using my old Mp001 and in my opinion, it was the worst bolt rifle I ever saw! I would get dead accurate shots at a whopping 80ft,hahahaha.. But this was back like 6 years ago and I didnt know all the mods that we do now a days. I dont recall ever really hearing about shimming hopup arms, and wrapping the bucking and cylinder heads etc... My rifle shot maybe 300fps and maxed range at 100ft. I still got plenty enough kills to still play a sniper role all these years later. I loved the Utg M324 but the v1 kinda sucked a bit compared to the newest versions. I had the v5 and was happy with it actually.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I had the v1 of the Shadow ops L96 and it was effing sweet! The fps was a bit high but the performance was great! I just never cared for the feel of the thumb hole stocks much. And 65 yards is about 213ft and that still a very nice distance in my opinion. And up untill recently there was no such thing as r hops, h hops, and so forth. So the average everyday airsoft player had an M4 shooting a whopping 150-180ft,lol.. I loved going to games and way out ranging the average airsofter.

So when someone tells me that 250ft is just barely decent and that I am too easily satisfied, then he is just being an A hole then right? Cause to me thats more than just barely decent!

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly! My Cyma Akm was awesome.. I was getting the same max range as my buddies A&K Sr25 but at that range my accuracy was garbage! But in actuality the bb's would spread out so much I could aim dead center of the enemy group and get everyone except the dude in the middle that I aimed at,hahaha.. His shots were still pretty accurate, they just dropped at the same range as my Akm. Only Aeg that I had that shot that far and I liked it a lot! I got a classic army pro line M4 that costed me $400 and it was have as accurate and had waaaay less range.. I have only had 2 Aeg's that I ever actually was "happy" with and the Cyma made them both.. the M14 and the Cmo36 "Akm" I get bored with aeg's too fast cause they just cant fullfill my desires on the field. The both shot about 200ft max! The m14 was the furthest of the two though.. Its funny when a rifleman shoots at me and cant come close to reaching me and I can hit em hard,lol.. Aint no other feeling like it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.