Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Where to Test Long-Distance Accuracy Indoors?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  1tonne 
#1 ·
You might say this is a silly question, but I can't think of a go-to answer, and it's something I've been interested in for a long time.

The search for perfect accuracy is endless, but with the recent implementation of my HPA rig, my set up is so highly tuned that I'm convinced it is a reasonable platform for finally doing what I've wanted for some time- RIGOROUSLY testing BBs.

The general plan for testing the accuracy/consistency of various BBs, without thorough outlining, would be the following:
- Use an analytical scale to measure weights of many individual BBs per BB type, evaluate average and standard deviation, etc.
- Cut many individual BBs per BB type in half to inspect for inclusions, etc.
- Keep rifle completely static (gun horse / etc.)
- Fire in an indoor range with minimal air circulation

But I need about 400 feet of indoor space.
Anyone have any ideas of where to look? Is a gun range an obvious answer- would they have that kind of length (I've never been to one, and the ones I've seen seem to be closer quarters)? Preferably something clever where I can simply ask the favor- I'm not trying to rent out a venue for this...

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you by chance work for a company that has a large wear house? Or if anyone you know owns/operates their business out of a wear house would probably be ideal. I have also thought about inquiring at a sports complex (the type with indoor batting cages and indoor fields/basketball courts but they might not like having a "gun" in the building.

Or you could try asking your local CSD if you can use their basket ball courts at night. I know the place I play pick up games at would have ample space and there is next to no one their by closing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
You might be better off just finding a range outside and use it on days where wind is very low. Normally early morning or before sunset.
You will find that a rifle will never fire perfectly even in a building. The reason is because our round bb's are not actually round. The are oval. If you check your bb's with a vernier, you will see that they are slightly off spec.
The closest you will get to a perfect build would be a build that fires ceramic bb's.
I settled with an outdoor range and it is fine. I just have to choose the right wind conditions.

#4 ·
I've weighed several types of BBs on a balance with a precision of 0.001 g or 1 mg. This is less precise than a typical lab analytical balance (0.0001 g or 0.1 mg precision), but it is adequate because the results span a range of more than 10 mg. Bioshot 0.43s, for example, had an average of 415 mg and a range of 409-419 mg.

You can use an outdoor range for what you're planning, as long as the wind conditions are fairly consistent. When you measure the "accuracy" of a gun and projectile, you actually are measuring the precision. You fire a number of groups of projectiles and determine the group size in minutes of angle.

It works this way because the scope is zeroed prior to shooting. This allows you to neglect variables like wind speed and temperature, because they will affect your zeroing shots the same way they affect your measured shots.

#5 ·
I have a range set up at my house that allows up to 240 ft shots. It is out doors, with overhanging trees, and other impediments like a horse fence. I have a 1x1 ft square tin target at 150 ft, a 14x18 tin target at 200, and a Ovid 1x2 ft target at 240ft

When I am sighting a spring sniper I do not shoot for groups, or perfect predictable flight.
I shoot ten BBs and if the gun can strike at 240 ft 7/8 times out of 10, it is ready to play. I practice at 150, and 200 until I know my holds, and I set the hop to be similar to my other airsoft sniper / DMR Rifles.

I have witnessed flight deviation severe enough to make me believe the BB will miss - only to hear the "tang " of it striking the 200-240 ft tin. The path to the target can be a huge varriance at different distances. The spread or group is generally linear and diagonal. If you get too caught up expecting/building a true flight airsoft rife, you will create a delicate test bed that can not perform in an arena.

Averages will be far more satisfying and less frustrating in the end.

#7 ·
This is something I would love to do too. Proper scientific tests where as many aspects of the system under test as possible are controlled. So that you are doing as much as you can to assess the impact of changing just the BB. Indoors can help eliminate cross winds, air temp as a building is likely to be consistently heated, possibly humidity controlled if it has aircon. Now I realise airsoft guns are not "precision" devices but if you are trying to do a scientific experiment to get repeatable / reproducable results, something airsoft is hugely lacking in, then you have to do it properly.

Folks should remember that part of the purpose of doing a scientific experiment is to provide documentation of every aspect of the experiment so that someone else, somewhere else, can reproduce the experiment identically to see if they get the same results. I think the only way to do that would be to do it indoors.

If you locate a suitable venue then, once the BB tests are done having controlled: environment, barrel, hop unit, hop rubber and propulsion (via HPA system for consistency) you can change to testing barrels, hop units, hop rubbers, hop levers or hop nubs. Finally producing some decent numbers from a consistent, repeatable, rig.

I really hope you find somewhere, a warehouse or similar. Some school/office buildings have long corridors. Perhaps a college or local university engineering or physics department might be able to help you find a venue? Emphasising the "citizen science" aspect of what you are trying to achieve?

Good luck with your search!

#8 ·
so that someone else, somewhere else, can reproduce the experiment identically to see if they get the same results.
That is the problem. To do that you need perfect bb's as every bb is different. You will only get consistency to a point but even then you will still have fliers as some bb's can be way off.
If you are to try this, you will be best to have a bore up kit and fire ceramic bb's.

#10 ·
If you do want to do this, you would be best to have a reasonably big target. This was it should show the fliers.
I am not against you doing this. It is good. But the effort of finding a building then traveling to it only to find that you can get pretty much the same results on a calm day. I am just trying to save you a little time.
But you guys can try it. I did many years ago in a factory that I worked in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.