Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the choice of the novi ssg or the silver back srs I already have a vsr that’s fully upgraded but I want A back up one that I don’t need to touch internally which is the better and why

·
Registered
969 Posts
SRS. You'll need to upgrade the spring, but that's really all you HAVE to do.

SSG is just... I mean it's basically the same as your VSR in aesthetics. While you won't have to upgrade it, I've shot and held the SRS and it's just a nice rifle.

The only downsides I can think of on the SRS are the magazine size and capacity. You can make those things quieter than any other rifle I've heard though, and I run a WASP and all the foam mods possible on my VSR. Like Mk23 quiet. It's insane.

I've been debating selling my old Maruzen L96 to fund an SRS build recently...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Go SRS, at least it's not a terribly overpriced m24 sold by a twat 😛

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Go SRS, at least it's not a terribly overpriced m24 sold by a twat 😛
I actually quiet like the guy. Seems like a good easy going bloke.
Though I am not a fan of the heavy SSG. But each to their own.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have just had the same decision myself. Went SRS because I wanted a change from the "traditional" VSR platform look and feel and I have heard bothing but good things about the SRS platform.

A friend bought an SSG and has had a few problems which were backed up by sub par support from the Nov team.
"My rifle is shooting too hot" - Response was turn hop off and chrono !!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'd also recommend the SRS- though I've never owned either. I will say though, the grip is kind of huge. I wear a medium or large glove and still, my first thought holding an SRS was "why is the grip so big though?".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pondering the question myself, personally I would love srs but the grip as mentioned feals large in my hand also. I don't believe there is a way around that but the ssg also has a large grip so I guess that settled.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
When I tried the SRS, I thought that it was an awesome gun and I would purchase one but the Mag was ridiculously big. That big that I would never purchase one until the can make the mag a high capper or make it smaller so that it can be taken out easy and carried easy. Mag changes will be a real problem during game. Not to mention that the mags are that big that you can only carry 1 spare mag. (I like to have a lot of mags for times when I am up a tree engaging a large team)

·
Registered
570 Posts
It's honestly embarrassing for them to have ever released a mag like that with such pathetic capacity/size ratio- especially in the face of things like AA VSR mags...then the HTI was released and lo and behold, they scrapped a previously-mentioned idea to increase capacity to...60 I think? Their magazine situation is completely FUBAR, lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I tried the SRS, I thought that it was an awesome gun and I would purchase one but the Mag was ridiculously big. That big that I would never purchase one until the can make the mag a high capper or make it smaller so that it can be taken out easy and carried easy. Mag changes will be a real problem during game. Not to mention that the mags are that big that you can only carry 1 spare mag. (I like to have a lot of mags for times when I am up a tree engaging a large team)
1tonne - I know you dislike SRS. It is your point of vision. I would like to disagree with you with the opinion about mag size. Recently I got my 16" SRS and the mags are not so big for me. Mag change routine was a bit strange but after some time I got used to it. I will carry 4 mags - no problem at all. Using SA pouches solved this problem.
Mag capacity is another story. 30 or rather 26 bbs with distancer is some kind of a joke. But again it is nothing that 3d printer with teflon tube wouldnt be able to solve... I will print and hopefully get some mags for approx. 60 bbs. Then will try to report.

So far SRS is far superior for me as a sniper rifle. Take this opinion it with a grain of salt because I used highly modified vsr for a couple of weeks only.

Greets
Michal

·
Registered
883 Posts
It's all personal preference as far as SRS or VSR or other sniper rifle. From a pure efficiency standpoint, it's pretty much impossible to beat the size/capacity of the AA 50 rounders for a VSR. Comparing anything to a VSR mag is pretty much unfair at that point. That being said, I do think the default SRS magazines carry a pathetic amount of ammunition for their size. Even Ares got their 338 mags to carry 50 rounds so silverback really doesn't have an excuse...

·
Registered
570 Posts
I mean sure, there's hardly room for improvement in capacity/size efficiency over AA's VSR magazines- but right, given the sheer size of SRS mags, the capacity is ridiculous. Even if their efficiency was like 1/3 of AA VSR mags, they would hold like ~70 rounds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Man you guys are talkin bout the benefits of a 28 vs 50rd magazine and I’m stuck over here with 15 rd ASG M40A5’s.

Gotta find a way to increase the capacity of these things...

·
Registered
570 Posts
~10rd Tanaka magazines
I know that life :p but hey if you play smaller games, you just look at the magazine and say "I'll get this many kills."! Definitely makes you play a different kind of game...

·
Registered
118 Posts
>10rd Tanaka magazines
I know that life 😛 but hey if you play smaller games, you just look at the magazine and say "I'll get this many kills."! Definitely makes you play a different kind of game...
If you think about it ... just bringing a dual pistol mag pouch with a couple speedloader full of extra ammo put you in a position where you'll really never run out. The M40a5 mags hold enough gas for a few refills too so it's not the end of the world. ...but still the VSR build definitely has ammo capacity as a plus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have the choice of the novi ssg or the silver back srs I already have a vsr that's fully upgraded but I want A back up one that I don't need to touch internally which is the better and why
I've had my SSG about a month and love it! My Echo1 PSR is gathering dust somewhere in the garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my very humble opinion I believe the SRS A1 is the superior rifle. That being said the SSG is an outstanding rifle out of the box. In fact out of the box the SSG is the better rifle performance wise (provided you had a well assembled one and don't have to deal with Nov Customer support).

So why the SRS? I like to attribute it to a few factors:
1. Flexibility and Versatility. The SRS barrel length is able to switched out in a matter of minutes...and by minutes I mean like about 2. I have the long barrel and the short barrel. I won't go into the science of longer vs shorter barrel but I will just say that I can do both. Also from a tactical view point there may be situations where having a shorter/lighter rifle (MOUT areas) is better than having a longer rifle (scouting/super long shots etc.) With a shorter SRS I can carry both a pistol and an AEG or GBB PDW / SMG. Point is you get options and can switch between options on the fly.

2. Upgrade-ability: The SRS has tons of after market upgrades on top of that it is perhaps the easiest platform to work on out of any airsoft platform (not just snipers). I can change a spring out in about 45 seconds and be ready to go. Want an upgraded piston...it takes about 45 - 60 seconds. Want a new hop up bucking? Maybe 5 minutes. New inner barrel? Maybe another 5 minutes. Also with the picatinny rail built in across the entire length of the rifle on the top side and attachment points on the side and bottom of the handgaurd you can add all sorts of things.

3. Durability. My SRS has taken a beating. It has been dropped numerous times in all manner of places to include swamp water. The only thing that has given me any real trouble is the mag release and the mag well not holding the mag high enough for the BBs to feed fully which was easily remedied. Keep in mind my SRS is a Gen 1 and most of the issues reported in the SRS earlier generations have been addressed by Silverback.

4. Accuracy and Range: Through all the science and tech in the Airsoft Sniper community there has been some great advances to the various platforms including the SRS. I have upgraded my SRS to the point where I can hit a man sized target at 125 meters (410 feet) 3 out of 10 times, with an effective range of 90 meters (295 feet) 8 out of 10 hits. Bare in mind this is with upgrades. It is vicious.

5. Stealth. Out of the box it is pretty quiet compared to the SSG. With a few upgrades it is practically silent. The WASP or the Mouse Fart piston are outstanding upgrade options that cancel out almost all the sound past a few feet.

6. Looks and style. The thing is just sexy.

The SSG is a great gun (even with the Stigma) but you are almost forced to purchase any sort of after market upgrade or attachment from Novritsch. There is nothing wrong with this but you are sort of stuck with only what he can provide. That being said I really enjoyed shooting the SSG. The bolt pull is smooth and easy, the range and accuracy is great and the weapon is sturdy. It carries more ammo per mag than the SRS and the bolt action is smoother and not as awkward as it farther forward than the SRS and requires less movement. (SRS you must pull the bolt past the cheek where the SSG you need only pull to the cheek, this equals more arm movement for the SRS).

In the end you can't really go wrong with either rifle. I think out of the box the SSG is a bit better on the wallet than the SRS and you get a little more bang. But with a few upgrades and options the SRS tops the charts in almost every category that equates to awesome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SRS. You'll need to upgrade the spring, but that's really all you HAVE to do.

SSG is just... I mean it's basically the same as your VSR in aesthetics. While you won't have to upgrade it, I've shot and held the SRS and it's just a nice rifle.

The only downsides I can think of on the SRS are the magazine size and capacity. You can make those things quieter than any other rifle I've heard though, and I run a WASP and all the foam mods possible on my VSR. Like Mk23 quiet. It's insane.

I've been debating selling my old Maruzen L96 to fund an SRS build recently...
Nice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts