Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Why no hearing protector topics? not enough tacticool or what?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Tommy Gunn 
#1 ·
We all know that hearing protection is important for shooters. There are some electronic hearing protectors, can connect with radios if have proper PTT.
As far as i know, 3M peltor, MSA sordin, Howard Leight, Z-TAC, Earmor. 2 Old&experienced and 1 total new brand. All of these electronic protectors do the same things: amplify weak sound(like voice,steps), mute loud noisy, but with different attributes and price tag.
Anyway, why would you use electronic hearing protector? and why wouldn't? And what's actual working situation of yours?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
I do use them. Just because luckily I have well above average hearing and don't want to ruin it with the ever increasing levels of ridiculous explosions MilSim organisers are using here.

Pros:
- Protect the ears, duh :p but that has become increasingly important, at least 'round here.
- Perfect radio communications
- Might provide increased hearing volume (or at least, different equalization) that highlights the oponent movements.
- Even low budget ones work quite well.

Cons:
- Relatively bulky and heavy compared to available alternatives.
Which one are you using?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Ive been pretty hesistant to use some because we dont have issues with loud noises where i play and i have my ears damaged from years ago and suffer tinnitus 24/7 (which ive come accustomed to) so i fear i will hear even less if i were those :S
Better get one if you ain't 100% sure with loud noise issues around you, hearing could be continuous damaged.
Anyway, a proper electronic headset can amplify ambient sound(like voice, steps). So you should hear abit more during campaign if you wearing it.>:D

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Is there a way to wire the mic to the outside of my viper hood? (the mic picking up "outside" noises not my comms mic). now THAT would rock since wearing the hood dampens sounds and i would LOVE to hear better behind me when stalking/ambushing.

Just 2 weeks ago i had an encounter when i was setting up an ambush for an incoming patrol enroute from my 10 o'clock to my 2, i was at the limit of the field and some newish player sneaked behind me from outside the field, he didnt even noticed me until i heard him and turned around to shoot him, that kind of close encounters are the ones that i feel this technology could help.
I don't understand. Why would you want to move the pickup mic to outside of hood?
Aren't you wearing your earpro outside your hood like the pic i sent above?

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Because some people have bangs that are pretty effin' loud if you're indoors. A Bowman won't do you any good, unless paired with hearing protection plugs.

Currently rockin' a Z-Tactical Sordin with a U94 PTT, saving up for a MSA Supreme Pro-X (which will be linked to a Thales shoulder microphone). Wears fine under my viper hood, however the sounds of the hood do become slightly annoying with the Sordin, but just turn the volume down slightly. No further complaints.
will your viper hood block the pickup mic of your headset? or at least all sounds like from the front? Don't like Ztac anyway.>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.