Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Why sniping? (dont forget to vote)

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  lieutenant 
#1 ·
I was wondering why you all chose sniping instead of another position? Personally I snipe because a sniper rifle was the first airsoft gun I got. I got it for Christmas and I decided to stick with it and I dont really use anything else. Occasionally i use my KJW Carbine but my sniper rifle is my baby. So why the sniping??

Also It would be sweet if you would tell me what gun you usually roll with. I just want to see whats popular and whats rare etcetera...

#2 ·
Well my first rifle was also a clone sniper, and it didn't shoot accurately farther than 75 feet. Perhaps because of my pigheadedness, I stuck with it until I got good at my "job".

I've used AEGs before, and although it's likely more fun, I view it as the easy way out. I'm not saying it's not difficult to play well

#4 ·
I agree with zulu when he said that adjusting to make a long range shot is more challenging.

for me, playing this role requires alot of discipline, patience and hardwork. essential skills in sniping cannot be obtained overnight. it needs constant practice and research to make your play better. that is why I got hooked on this role. ;)

Current arsenal:
Primary:Custom Bar10
-6.01mm x 550mm TBB
-Custom aluminum barrel extender
-EdGI Internals
-Regular setting: 570fps on .20g
-Special Setting: 640fps+ on .20g
-Ammo: .30g, .36g & .43g

Secondary:Modified M4 CQBR
-6.03mm x 303mm TB
-430fps on .20g
-20 rps
-Ammo: .25g

Sidearm:HiCapa 5.1
-320fps on .20g
-Green Gas
-Ammo: .20g

#6 ·
Honestly, I took the role on in milsim paintball years ago, so it was a easy transition. Anyway, while we tread into off topic here are two links first in http://www.milsimempire and OSOK paintball sniper forum

Problem is I am also partial to all things belt fed too. Anyway I got started into airsoft in general after getting heavy into milsim paintball after taking a 15 year break form paintball entirely. A lot changed while I was gone from paintball. Now most of the time this stuff sits in its locker as my field time is spent on airsoft now mostly.

My ION is a better marker for it because it is quieter, than any of my three Tippmann, The Tiberius mag fed pistol is awesome and the Tiberius fin stabilized paintballs make let you have range and accuracy the role deserves. Compare the range of a .68 cal paintball to the Tiberius first strike ball.

Max Range of a standard paintball - 337 feet
Max Range of First Strike Projectile: 510 feet

two of my three tippman A5s on with a OPs Gear Mk48 SAW shroud and the other with a B5 bull pup mod, The B5 has a flatline barrel. My ACU load out shows my cross draw Tac 8 pistol 4 magazines of 8 69 cal each. 12 140 round pods mk48 SAW shroud Tippmann A5 on a remote. I am close to heat exhaustion here because we were both ghillied right up to before this photo was taken.

alright its a heavy gunner load out but now you know what I sort of look like (I am in ACU here)

works better when I veg the ghillie doesn't it especially not in ACU.

#8 ·
I prefer sniping and playing the designated marksman role
My VSR10 g spec
TM VSR-10 g-spec :
M120 spring
Firefly soft bucking
Pdi barrel spacers
Laylax 603 tb
Laylax Zero Trigger
Laylax Teflon Cylinder,
Laylax Cylinder head,
Laylax spring guide
, Laylax spring guide stopper
Leapers 3-9 x 50mm Scope with flip up covers
Weaver scope rings
2 TM 30 round magazines

My G&G SR25
NC star 4-16x50
Systema 6.04 tightbore barrel
systema torque up gears
systema high torque motor
m140 spring

#9 ·
I keep forgetting to post here, so here goes.

I was born and brought up in a place called The Royal Forest of Dean in South West Gloucester-shire, England. So as you'll probably guess there is a lot of trees about, and as a kid the Boy Scouts taught me how to hide in them effectively. Skip forward 10 years and I get an air rifle, and me and a bunch of mates go rabbit and squirrel hunting on a regular basis. Skip forward another 10 years I meet this bunch of guys who do this airsoft malarkey, and buys an M16A1 to go with the Vietnam reenacting gear I also then own. Upon playing with them I found I was the one doing all the sneaky beaky type shizzle, and because of my up bringing was worryingly good at it compared to the other guys (all towny types ;)), they encouraged me to by a bolty and build a proper Gillie, and here I am today, club sniper/DM
So really it was my destiny to be an airsoft sniper rather than a chosen roll, as given the opportunity, should the need arise, I'm still the 1 at the front, wielding a mean shot gun, with an evil look in my eye mixing it up, toe to toe with the enemy, on the CQB sites ;)

#10 ·
F=1/2mv^2

Since this is a sniper site we'll make the weight of the bb .36g, and the avg weight of a pb is .68g. Fps limit for pb is 280 fps, so we'll do that.

force for airsoft: 1.46J of force
force for paintball: 2.77J of force

Not to mention the pb has more inertia/momentum than the airsoft bb and so drag affects it less.

Now if we consider point blank with a 500 fps sniper and .2g bb's, airsoft hurts more than a pb gun at 280 fps. But when the hell is that going to happen? Pretty simple, pb is more painful.

I just felt like physics

#13 ·
Zulu, 1 word for you, KISS mate, there are other people less capable of understanding WTF your on about, than we tech heads ;) a shame I know, but there is :) and in any case its over 25 years ago since I had to look at anything like that so stop dragging me back into the past ;)

#16 ·
Technicaly.....no, KISS is still 1 word ;) but broken down in to its constituent parts of Keep It Simple Stupid, and then it becomes 4 words. It only appears to be 4 words because you know that the 1 word actually represents 4 words
is that to anally retentive? :-/

#18 ·
To be completely honest I cant remember why I wanted to be a sniper in the beginning. But it has been 11 years ago. My first few airsoft guns were not sniper rifles, actually they were a spring beretta and a spring G3. But over time I developed the skills necessary to preform the Sniper / DM role. Many people in Indiana will tell you that I am some kind of ghost or something. But I rather enjoy the role and I think the thing that really keeps me going and wanting to continue are the knife kills. Nothing in airsoft in my opinion is a better adrenaline rush then getting knife kills on people. The OMG surprise look on there faces mixed w/ fear and "how the hell did you do that?" makes is all worth wile. Lately I have been playing the DM role more and more, especially in larger ops.

And I have used a ton of weapons from the much hated Super 9 (I was a young one at age 10 when I started playing airsoft) to the KJW MK1. And I have used commercial and homemade ghillie suits.

~Joker out....

#21 ·
I think it's because you only have one try to get it right, and it's not just the shot.
My bar-10 is lowpowered and I hit a a4 page every time at up to 30 metres (I rarely got the oppurtunity to fire at greater ranges than that) if theres no wind.
So I have to get close, unseen.
I have to hit every time at that close range.
I like it because it's hard, it requires more of the player than just spraying plastics.
I'm not saying that I hit every time. I just give it my best try every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.