Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I am gonna need some help with this one. I am planing on building a wood stock R700 or M40. Mainly for a Vietnam sniper impression. So I need some help locating a wood stock bolt action that will fit the role. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
JD

·
Registered
361 Posts
The original M40's had Composite stocks as designed by the Marine Sniper School instructors on Hill 55. You would be looking for the original Model 70's That were requisitioned by the instructors from the on base hunting lodges. Just a heads up there. But, if you have to make your own, what you'll need to do is to get a block of wood, slightly wider, taller, and longer than the maximum measurements of the stock you want to make, cut out the general shape on a bandsaw, then sand/file to the exact shape. After you have that done, you need to mill out the forestock for the action/barrel mounts of your gun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty much open to most ideas right now. If I can find a rifle that already has a wood stock it would be great. But if not I might be up to the task of making one... I will look up the ktw model 70...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... Looked up the ktw m70 and I really don't have a thousand bones laying around to pick that sucker up. It is a beautiful rifle though... So I need some help locating another wood stock bolt...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tanaka M40 or Sun Project M40A1/M40A1XB/M40XB.
You could probably get away with using any Rem 700 replica (with a bit of modding), the problem will be getting a period scope. The rifle would end up looking like any other wood stocked gun if you used a modern scope mounted with modern rail and rings.
I'm in the UK, so I don't know what the market is like for period militaria in the US. Maybe you can pick up a scope for $20... But I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Wouldn't be to hard to mod a scope to make it look like a unertl scope.

Take a cheap tasco scope, go to the plumbing department at a hardware store, and find the pieces that you need. Attach them to the scope, paint it, and you should have a good looking replica

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's the Unertl, you're so used to seeing the end of the scope end in the middle of the forestock that the length from the end of the scope to the barrel is throwing you off. That's probably an original Winchester M70 in .30-06 lifted straight out of the hunting preserve arsenal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.