Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I see that a lot of you guys craft your own guns and well, I think that's awesome. I've seen people make M40 stocks, plans for MSR stocks for the VSR, and Oderfa's SV98. I think that is amazing, and I would liek to get into that.

Unfortunately, I have no tools for that. My dad is more the Business type, not the wood, and metal work type, so I have nothing to work with or no experience.

How would I even begin to design, and build these??? Is there like a place I should physically go to? Like a class? Or do you guys just learn by watching videos on the internet? Please help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For the design part, pick a stock you want to make that already exists, like the SV98 for example, or just create one. I would start with some sketches and labeling the dimensions, knowing what you will need to cut and sand, and so forth.

I don't exactly suggest you do this if you have zero woodworking experience unless you have someone who does have experience and could help you. They may also have tools, which would save you a good chunk of money.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
First off, wood and metal are two completely different things. As such, they require two completely different processes to work with. I don't have too much experience with metals, but I am pretty good at wood. There are several ways you can build something out of wood. You can make the externals with a 3D printer, you can use hand tools and shape it yourself, you can use a band saw to get the rough shape and sand it down to the final shape, shaping several different portions and gluing them together at the end, etc.

If you really want to start building stocks out of wood, start by building simple things like, and I know this is a cliche, a birdhouse. Get the feel for what you are working with before you get into building the harder things.

To make the gun part of the guns, not just the stocks, you will need metal experience and that I can't help you with. Maybe pay someone to make that for you.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
As said above me, different tools and methods used for metal and wood. Same for plastics IMO.

Take up a woodworking and/or metalworking shop class to learn the basics.

I did woodworking in school and find it really helps me around the house etc. This summer after my finals I'm building a chicken run, a dog run and a shed for the animals.. Also mantinece for decking and possibly a mini-forge/workshop for making tools and maybe the odd sword.

But start with the basics mate and definitely learn from someone else rather than just buy a saw and 'hack' at it.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.