Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts

Consistency test with 0.43g BB using everything stock (spring power is 112fps with 0.2g, somewhere around the 1.5J ballpark). The unit is meters per second

Not a very impressive m/s consistency as this is somewhere around 7fps maximum deviation and that's with 0.43g. Since airseal is perfect (zero leakage) I assume the piston head might be too dry and causes too much resistance along the cylinder?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So since an abundance of faceless parts fit both the srs and Tac41, I pre-ordered the tac and should receive by late August early September, until then I'm building my srs, If anyone is interested in an Ssg10 I will be willing to sell or trade for equal value.

Does anyone have new updates with their new Tac 41? Gameplay experience, performance updates.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Speaking of which I do have some updates:

Since I realised the TAC41 has a rather lackluster if not poor FPS consistency, I've been looking into how to improve it accordingly (as well as reducing the barrel length of the rifle) while discovering a few things along the way.

- Similar to the SRS series the TAC41 hopup chamber is best fitted with Silverbacks own buckings. Other buckings may not work properly despite being rated as AEG compatible.

- Consequently the Unicorn barrel and bucking, which is made slightly thinner than usual (and fit regular AEG chambers very well), is too thin for the TAC41 and has seemed to cause some alignment problems with the cylinder assembly when used with the non-stock barrels.

- The Spiral barrels seem to have some slight fitting problems which causes some minor fitting issues, but nothing serious (apart from funny squeaky noises between the cylinder and outer barrel). PTFE lube is recommended to help cope with the problem.

- Please spray PTFE lube liberally into the outer barrel interior before inserting the chamber assembly into the outer barrel. You'll need it.

- "Massaging" the piston head, no matter the airbrake head or stock piston head, doesn't seem to help even with lots of white grease lube applied to it (still 2.3m/s deviation).

- With the inner barrel replaced by a Da Vinci Guren 1 420mm 6.03 barrel and a fresh 60 degree Silverback bucking instead of the stock brass 510mm, consistency has significantly improved to 1.1m/s with no leakage and degradation of hop quality, despite not using any tape for sealing.

A theory of mine is that the extra long inner barrel that came with the rifle may be too long and/or too wide, or that the inner barrel quality may have affected the consistency of the rifle (even though so far it has shown impressive shot by shot accuracy consistency). More tests is required but it can be observed that swapping the inner barrel does help improving the FPS consistency of the TAC41.

Reactions: SiliconeSword

·
Registered
640 Posts
My one was rather stable out of the box, sub 3fps dev on .48, but since replaced the piston head to O ring sealed and the barrel it went down to 1.6fps whats perfectly fine.
Yeah I also find the use of O-ring pistons in general more stable (even though so far my best M/S result is still in the ballpark of 1m/s anyway). Dunno why Silverback changed that from their Gen 2 models……

·
Registered
160 Posts
As much love as I've poured into my Striker.. I see this as possibly being my next purchase. My only gripe is that because it is still so new, there's not a whole lot of gameplay videos out there for it just yet - and mainly I'm looking for the big YouTube guys to do one, preferably House Gamers.

Is there anything you guys would recommend doing out of the box? It'd be a while before I made a purchase, I'm not comfortable buying from overseas atm, I'd rather wait until a local shop began carrying them. I definitely love that the magazines are... reasonable. Coming from the Striker series, which those magazines hardly fit in .308 pouches and only carry 45rds... A much smaller magazine with marginally more capacity is perfectly fine by me.

Reactions: FMP Airsoft

·
Registered
640 Posts
As much love as I've poured into my Striker.. I see this as possibly being my next purchase. My only gripe is that because it is still so new, there's not a whole lot of gameplay videos out there for it just yet - and mainly I'm looking for the big YouTube guys to do one, preferably House Gamers.

Is there anything you guys would recommend doing out of the box? It'd be a while before I made a purchase, I'm not comfortable buying from overseas atm, I'd rather wait until a local shop began carrying them. I definitely love that the magazines are... reasonable. Coming from the Striker series, which those magazines hardly fit in .308 pouches and only carry 45rds... A much smaller magazine with marginally more capacity is perfectly fine by me.
Nothing really outside of your standard "check if it's smooth and unscratched", but you'd probably appreciate getting a value pack of SRS buckings just as insurance and check for FPS consistency

In the future there will be 100 round long mags, given the dimensions it probably will fit M4 pouches like how AS02 ones fit in them (just sideways).

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
What is the advantage of having the free floating outer barrel? These are not real steel and so I do not see the point in it. Wouldn't this make the rifle less accurate? For instance, you rest your barrel against a horizontal branch and the barrel may then move upwards a few millimetres while the receiver stays still. Since the scope is mounted to the receiver, it will then not line up with the barrel. Meaning your rifle is not shooting straight. In a good airsoft rifle, you want the stock and outer barrel locked as it would make the rifle more accurate.
To me it does not make sense and I would be locking the barrel and the stock together to make it more accurate.
Anyone else have a different view as to why they made the outer barrel free floating?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I think that free float in airsoft is ridiculous as everything is weak and floppy.
An AR-15 barrel for instance is a press fit with a shoulder that is squashed down extremely hard with a large nut, allowing it to be free floating.
Another thing to mention, airsoft almost never had steel stuff when plastic, aluminum, or shitty pot metal are an option, particularly in outer barrels and receivers, so you have a fraction of the rigidity of high quality steel alloyed correctly for the task at hand.
Also, real steel receivers and barrels are usually tapered as to deal with chamber pressure and save on weight, but the wall thickness is still super high, specifically in high powered rifles, like what we are taking about the toy counterpart of.

If your stock is very rigid then I would advise against free floating, but if your stock is wobbly then your gun will probably suck either way lol.
With my VSR-SS I'm going to use a hella fat bar of ABS for the stock with a CNC aluminum and mechanically/epoxy bonded titanium one piece receiver bedded into my stock, for maximum rigidity.
I doubt I'll bed the entire outer barrel, but at least to where I tighten it down, that way it can't be sucked downward in the slightest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
What is the advantage of having the free floating outer barrel? These are not real steel and so I do not see the point in it. Wouldn't this make the rifle less accurate? For instance, you rest your barrel against a horizontal branch and the barrel may then move upwards a few millimetres while the receiver stays still. Since the scope is mounted to the receiver, it will then not line up with the barrel. Meaning your rifle is not shooting straight. In a good airsoft rifle, you want the stock and outer barrel locked as it would make the rifle more accurate.
To me it does not make sense and I would be locking the barrel and the stock together to make it more accurate.
Anyone else have a different view as to why they made the outer barrel free floating?
First of all you dont rest the barrel on anything :D
Second: The free float in airsoft is not because of berrel harmonics like real steel. If the barrel is clamped securely in the receiver (it is in tac41 and srs) the rail, receiver, barrel, scope will remain in the same axis during shotting and assembly/dissasembly. While with a vsr the point of aim and axis of barrel can shift depending on how tight or loose you tighten the 3 screws of the stock. Especially if the receiver and externall barrel connection is wobbly like most vsr one.
Free float in this case literally has no disadvantage.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
You can rest your barrel on anything in airsoft. That simply depends on the hide you are in (or tree), your stance and any number of things. You may not rest a real rifle on the barrel but this is airsoft where anything goes.
The L96 also has a free floating outer barrel just like the TAC41 and even with the receiver and barrel wielded together, the barrel still moves. But the TAC41 does have the advantage of the fluting which should help take away flex.
(Sorry, if I am like the devils advocate with this rifle (or any other new rifle on the market). I just like to find out any quirks before purchasing. So I do actually like this rifle and may get one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well if people take your posts as negative they're Dingle berry's. You're simply finding and asking about things that may be just gimmicks and come up with a flaw. It's just food for thought that we can all appreciate!

I do agree with faceless on not leaning our barrels on anything though, almost especially in airsoft as that rest stop could tweak everything back to your receiver causing inconsistent accuracy.like posted above most airsoft is wobbly and not super rigid or stiff.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I do agree with faceless on not leaning our barrels on anything though, almost especially in airsoft as that rest stop could tweak everything back to your receiver causing inconsistent accuracy.like posted above most airsoft is wobbly and not super rigid or stiff.
But that is what I am meaning. If you do lean on the barrel then if it is not mounted to the stock it will most likely bend more.
A good example of using the barrel to stabilise the rifle is when up a tree for a long time. You are in a good safe position but the closest branch to stabilise is just past the stock. In this case, I would definitely and have used the barrel as a stabiliser.

·
Registered
640 Posts
A free float barrel makes sense if your design has a stock that isn't particularly strong structurally - take all Ares (amoeba or original) sniper rifles who has a nub connected to their barrel, almost all of them will have barrel twist if you used a bipod because of pressing against the barrel due to weak/flexible/poorly supporting stocks which lead to different results when bipod is mounted/dismounted. The original VSR stocks aren't immune to this problem (though the AACT10 most likely is since it's reinforced with pot metal and nylon all the way through and is super thicc), knowing 1tonnes tendency to go as light as possible I can only say "Yes, the VSR10 is also a big offender in twisty stocks due to its thin ABS stock".

And as mentioned, these kind of designs need to pay extra care on how tightened your screws are, both too loose or too tightened will change how aligned the barrel is to the receiver hence affecting the trajectory as well. Even the SSG24 isn't immune from the problem.

In almost any case, fixated barrel or not, you do not use your outer barrel as any sort of pivot for stabilization, period, for the fact that not only it scratches the outer barrel, it screws up the barrel through providing extra force that deflects your barrel (even if only a bit, since almost all airsoft receivers ain't steel or very high grade aluminum all the way with rather high tolerances compared to a real rifle). Even in real steel using your barrel as any sort of weight support or pivot will get you chewed all the way to Tuesday. If there aren't any pivots then freehand it and snipe in crouched or standing stance like you usually do.

However just like how bad non-freefloat can ruin accuracy, bad freefloats can also screw up everything, especially if the tolerances are extremely loose and the materials suck. The Snow Wolf M24 is by design a free floated barrel, and that rifle's is so not fixated to the receiver simple situations like tilting your rifle sideways screws up alignment.
At least the way how the TAC41 does it is quite secure, with the added bonus of not having to take out the stock like every other else rifles do (bar the SRS series and the HTI) at the moment if you need to do a barrel swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my sba tac41 a few days ago.
I do not have time to run a full review at one phase so I will post in segments when I have time to look at different aspects of the rifle.
View attachment 19039
First thing first, this rifle is solid.
Feels just as it should, the barrel really free floats in the stock, the handling is smooth and everything works as supposed to.
Assembly and dissasembly is quite simple also.
View attachment 19040

Today it's the cylinder unit.
The piston bodies are compatible, just as the piston heads. As you see already installed the sear end on a VMP. For the removal I just used the nut included with the VMP and a screwdriver as a lever through the piston side hole. It also fits MouseFart piston head.

The good news is, since the cylinder head is full cncd so the brakes works even better than on the SRS. The 'bad' news is I had to install an other bumper O ring on the brake as you see (will be included in all MF order from now on). This required because the original piston head is 1mm longer, and with the MF the sear end slides 1mm further, so the sear can not engage the piston. With the extra O ring as a temporarly solution it works as intended. Already changed the design on MF1.4 to adapt this.

Regard muzzle energy and noise output you can expect about the same as in the SRS with similar setup. The sound is a little sharper and springy twang, but these are just the very first shots I took without optimaliseation. Racking of the bolt is very smooth already, got to get used to the old style bolt loading again 😅

The engagement of the sear is really effortless just as it should be, more on that on the trigger group segment.
So far happy!

Until next post feel free to post questions if you have any so I can take a look at those parts specially.
If I do not have the VMP tool. What would you suggestion to remove the Tac41 sear from the stock piston. I want to try and see if the sear will fit on my SRS wasp.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts